1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thin And Thick Spoke Brembo Wheels.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Desmoquattro, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Finally got round to weighing these today, something I've been meaning to do for some time. The thick spoke Brembos are the standard on my SS, the thin spoke from the later IE model, for anyone who is not familiar. There's allegedly a worthwhile difference in weight so I wanted to see for myself, being a bit cynical. Weights without discs but include spacers and bearings.

Thick spoke Brembos
    Front 5.1kg or 11.2lb
    Rear 7.4kg or 16.4lbs

Thin spoke
    Front 4.8kg or 10.6lbs
    Rear 6.7kg or 14.8lbs

Total difference
    FRONT 300 grams
    REAR 700 grams

Question is, is it worth me go in to the hassle of changing them? I have to get the front spindle sorted as it's a different size, and get the wheels powdercoated so it'll likely cost a couple hundred quid, or do I save for OZ Aluminium or similar which will give me even more of a substantial saving. Can anyone with more experience in these matters, possibly racing where any weight saving counts, tell me if this weight saving of a 1kg (effectively 4kg of lard due to rotating mass) is worth swapping them for?

2. good question. Usually its about weight saving in general, to which the replies are eat less pies or have a dump. But unsprung weight saving is a different matter, how much difference 1kg overall would make, I have no idea but I'd like to know...

3. I've read somewhere that it's 4 times as effective as me losing some weight. The advantages of lightening the wheel are well known to be worth it as it has a far greater benefit than just the weight alone. Plus I don't have much lard to lose obviously, lol.

4. You could put later forks on it with 25mm spindle and 65mm calipers. ST4S nitrided same length and dia.
    25mm speedo drive is different gearing tho.

5. Yeah, I'm not changing the forks, I've had mine sorted by Maxton at expense so they stay.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Screenshot_20180205-172713.jpg
    I've lusted after fancy wheels for too long. In a moment of clarity/stupidity I pulled the trigger on these. It's bike likes yours Sev, that influence me on some choices. 8 weeks till delivery.

• Like Like x 3
  7. If you are considering spending money on the bike then putting it into lightweight wheels is definitely worthwhile and one of my top priorities on any bike. You really notice the improvement on track when going hard but even on the road you can notice the difference especially when getting a bit of a lick on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I understand that you need to fit bearings(and spacers) to accept the earlier 900ss axle size on the front, but will the original speedo drive unit work off the later wheels? I would love lightweight wheels but they are a stretch too far at the moment and there is a set of ss ie wheels going for a reasonable price.....

9. Cheapest cost lightweight wheels are triumph 675r rims.

Not far off a dymag hoop but people are starting to cotton on to them now so prices are going up.

10. Cheapest cost lightweight wheels are triumph 675r rims.

Not far off a dymag hoop but people are starting to cotton on to them now so prices are going up.

11. I have OZ wheels to put on my bike soon. The front is a larger size spindle so I will be able to advise on the Speedo once they are fitted as I have the gubbins from a later front end to use.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I looked at eBay here to see what 675r wheels sell here(Oz). and "Arashi" brand sell for $700aust a set(new) delivered, that's posted from China. That's approx. 385 pounds. Are these original Triumph wheel suppliers(where do Triumph wheels get made?). China does make some decent quality stuff but it's always questionable.

13. Sorry don't know what the OE wheels are on a Triumph. Maybe call them?

14. It appears that "Arashi" are not OEM.

15. Check part numbers of the carbed SS speedo and the IE / Monster speedo.

Not sure if the IE / Monster speedo drive gear which fits the later wheels suits the carbed speedo.

AL

16. Al, then surely I could swap to a later Speedo dial if required.

17. Of course but will it match the tacho? See how it runs away with you? :)

18. Yeah, it got out of hand way back

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information