1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Breaking The Bike

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by johnny, Jan 31, 2018.

1. I have called it about three time but it looks like the 2002 ST4S is dead now. Can't get it to run on the front cylinder no matter what I try.

Anyone any experience or pointers with breaking an older bike?

2. It will take ages and you will end with parts left that no one wants. In my opinion is get it fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Make sure you have a lot of space for parts for the next twenty years and dont bother breaking it until you have sold the main parts that will make it worth your while. If you don't have plenty of time and space then I'd think carefully about whether it is even worth doing as it can be a right ball ache if you are only going to make a few hundred quid over selling the whole lot off cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. For my 2003 999, it was the ECU coil driver for the front cylinder.
    Can't be that hard to diagnose what's wrong...

5. I had an issue with the front cylinder on my ST4 that I couldn't fathom. Spoke with JHP Ducati in Coventry, for them to have a look at it. They sorted the problem and a few other things besides. Cost £250. Money well spent IMO. Maybe get someone to have a look at yours?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the input, figured it would be a pain to do. I don't want it to sit there and rot. Bike is only worth 1200 to 1500 so don't want to spend 500 on fixing it. I shall post a list of what I have tried later

7. often the out lay to fix vs value of a vehicle when fixed can make it a non starter but it can be worth while if you get a good few more years of fun outta it
    if you no longer enjoy the bike or don't need it,maybe sell it on as spares or repairs..
    Have seen a few bikes fetch alot more than I thought they were worth as a non runner. Would save the hassle of breaking it. Time is money, unless you have nothing better to do!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well you have my sympathies. Would be a shame to see an ST4 broken but it is a dilemma. I owned a Saab 9000 Carlsson, in a former life. The turbo broke and it cost me £1500 for repairs. Had to fix it because it was the family car and we were using it to go on holiday. I sold it two weeks later for £1500....

9. Battery is in new and in good nick and is backed up by a booster
    Checked and swapped Plugs and Injectors
    All lines to the above measure well in Ohms and voltage
    TPS is new and set up
    Compression is good
    ECU loaner was tried minus immobilizer- same result
    Injectors are spitting fuel
    Valves are moving clearance looks OK
    Coils checked and swapped
    New HT Leads
    New plugs
    New Fuel Filter and Pump
    Tank checked and cleaned

10. If you spend 500 fixing it, and then sell it for 1500 you are still 1000 ahead. Instead of getting a few quid here and there for spares which you have to answer email questions, take off and clean, package up and post and have the rest cluttering up the garage or driveway possibly for months.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'd fix it, but if you are determined to sell, sell it as is. You'll be left with a load of parts you'll never shift, have to package everything, deal with eBay messers. It's just not worth the hassle for (maybe) a few extra quid.

12. I thought I would fix it but it has been 18 months of trying now

13. flux capacitor? Known fault...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Get somebody good to look at it as you have been advised by the wise ones already. Lots of advice available on who to use and who to avoid.

Depending on the condition of it i think you could well get back more than £1500. Off the subject slightly but i had the same thing with a dead mercedes 190 some years ago. Everyone, and i mean everyone that i spoke to said " you wont recover more than a couple of hundred quid" and be left with a load of stuff you cant sell.
    Well i made over £2300. Who cares if you have bits left over if you make more than you would have if you sold it as broken.

Good luck

15. Ducati John has a great reputation and iirc is in the Midlands.
    Wasn't @Suzisue after an ST4?
    Maybe she'd like to buy it and get it sorted...

16. If you decide to break it, there's a few parts I'd be interested in

17. I had a strange intermittent misfire on my ST4s that was caused by a terminal in one of the coil plugs (Low Tension side, the one from the ECU) not making a good contact.

You mention that you've swapped coils, plugs, etc - have you actually got a good spark at both plugs when you crank it?

As it's a 4s, do you have JPDiag or something similar to check for any fault codes in the ECU? Can the bike tell you what it thinks is wrong?

18. What do you want for it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. I would be interested (ideally want a newer shaped bike) but do love a challenge & not afraid of getting my partners hands dirty if the price is right , can you pm me some pics and a brief description. Suzi

20. I checked the coil leads with an Ohm meter and a LED and they are OK. Nothing on the fault codes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information