1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of buying a 749... is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Wildfire, Jul 8, 2013.

1. As Monster owner I'd really like to have a Ducati Sports bike to accompany the Piccolo Mostro.

Being priced out of the 848s I pretty much wrote off the idea and decided to stick with my ZX6-R

Whilst I was at my local dealer, they offered me a 2005 749 with 6k on the clock with warranty, full service and FSH etc. for £5250. Compared to private sales this looks pretty expensive.

The thing is that they offered me £4k for my Ninja outright. If I could bring them down to £5k then that is affordable and the insurance will be £20 more a year.

Is this a good deal or are they having a giraffe for that price?

Thinking about depreciation, I know the Ninja will drop a lot faster than the Duc, and I can't really see the Duc dropping past £3k anytime soon.

Also will I be disappointed going from 2008 Japanese tech to 2004 Ducati tech?

Cheers

2. Agree its a bit over but from a dealer not much provided its the red frame facelift version.

3. It does have the Red frame. What are the differences?

If I was to negotiate, any recommendations on how much I should be looking at paying?

Cheers!

4. Ah! Not paying attention! Could a Mod please move this to the Superbike forum?

5. Seems a bit high for a standard 749. I have a 2006 gloss black 749S with under 4k on the clock and would probably sell it for similar money....

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

6. C'mon mods I won't sleep tonight until you've moved this to the correct forum lol!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm keeping it here for the time being :smile:

8. 748's seem to have bottomed out on prices, are cheaper than a 749, and could be the next to start to appreciate - after the 900ss of course.....

9. I use to have a 749s red frame mono, 05. i sold it for £4650. with 11000 miles. that bike you mentioned is expensive but its a dealer.

The red frame model is the one to buy. uprated everything. great bike, the engine has loads of character, handles really well. the reason i sold mine it was to uncomfortable, my back use ache big time. the 749 and 999 are quiet long bikes, and having short arms didnt help. buying from a dealer and having part exchange is much easy than purchasing private.

10. Ozz, if I could pass on my ZX6-R wasily I would go for yours!

Whilst I love my ZX6-R and my Monster satifies the Ducati craving in general a Sports Ducati would do everything. They have offered me a very good deal on the Ninja (basically private sale price) just trying to wrestle with if it's worth the extra money for the hassle free sale, service and warranty?

I'm going to ask for a test ride tomorrow, if I like it and they will come in under £5k by a bit, they may have a deal. What with it being a hassle advertising the Ninja, entertaining tyre kickers and taking time off work, then having to look for another bike etc.

Any idea on what a good price from a dealer would be. I would take it for £4750, but I doubt they'd knock £500 off the price.

11. Haha no I am definitely, probably going for an 848 next.....

12. The 749 is a great bike, had mine for 10 years now and I don't want anything more. They have a nice engine, great handling and are more comfortable than a 748. If you can get a post face lift model at sensible money then go for it. Duke.

13. Hi!
    I want to buy a 749s and i'm insecure with +15000 miles on clock. Would you consider it to much miles?

Market options on table (bikes with maintenance registries):
    2007, 15000 miles, 749s stock
    2004, 13600 miles, 749s, 110hp, termignoni

The 2007 is about 10% more expensive.

Thanks!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information