1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Buying And 851. Anyone Know Anything About This Bike?

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by allybee, Apr 26, 2017.

1. No mention of a Nova required for UK registration and you would need to check that the correct UK headlight has been fitted. Andy

2. Its been registered already and has a current MOT until next Feb i believe, I checked on the Gov MOT checker.

3. That's good. Have to say the prices for both are strong but that probably is the market, good 851s getting few and far between. Andy

4. My SP3 has a "European" headlight and the only issue I've had is some MoT testers insist on putting a bit of black tape on the light for the test.

Looks clean enough from the pictures, but I'd ask who did the "nut and bolt" rebuild.

Edit - only looked at the one in Suffolk,

Good luck

Andrew

5. I spoke to the chap, he's a car dealer and didn't know too much about the bike (its numbers matching though apparently). I asked if he knew who'd serviced it as I was going to ring them as well, but I've got to phone back as the bloke who knows about the bike was not in today.

A couple of extra questions:

Do 888/851s suffer the same issues as 996/748s e.g. sprag clutches, alternator nuts and flakey rockers.

Also if I can get the guy to give me the frame/engine numbers what will Ducati be able to tell me about it if I email them?

Thanks All.

6. I recently wanted to confirm the identity of my bike so I contacted Ducati at [email protected] with as much information as I had. Fabiana and Silvia were very helpful and pretty quick to reply.

#8 rxs851, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Thanks for the replies, realistically speaking, are they a bike that can be relied-upon? I'm not looking to commute on it or anything, but I'd like to be able to head out on a ride without worrying if I'm going to make it home (I've got a BSA for that )

9. It's possibly telling that the first one has been up for ages. And I mean ages. Like last summer iirc at least. As it's not too bad a price, makes you wonder why :)

10. I know it's been up for ages, didn't realise it was that long... I've been looking on and off over the past 5-6 months and most of the bikes currently on eBay seem to have been listed for ages. I assumed that these are pretty niche and take a while to sell.

11. Snap. Keep looking at the one with the st4 motor fitted as I'd be interested in using as a track and Sunday dry day tool. But it's a jap import and not had its plates sorted yet

12. I prefer the later 888 style bodywork, but I discounted that one as I can't really be bothered with the registration faf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I purchased a bike from the place the second one is for sale at a few months ago (BMW). I had a look over the 851 whilst looking around. It was in pretty good condition if i remember correctly.
    The bloke to speak to is called Andy, at Teasdale Motorcycles. He's seems to know about all the bikes in the showroom. I think all bikes sold come with a 2 year warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I spoke to him yesterday, seemed like a decent chap, it's not been on the road since 2013, but owned by the same person since 2008 not much in the way of history though. He said he'd service the bike (inc belts) and MOT so I'm wondering if I can do some sort of deal where I get him to give it a proper going over. But the first one is nearly a grand cheaper, which could be used to fix any issues.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information