1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Thinking Of Buying

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Ivor, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Thinking of buying a 1260S, anything to look out for, and what would I expect to pay for a 3 year old clean example?

2. the 1260s Multi is an awesome bike.

i've had mine for 3 years now, and just under 20,000 miles (i was out of country for almost a year, hence the lower mileage).

zero issues in those 20,000 miles, other than the recalls and service bulletins that are completed free of charge by Ducati dealerships.

of all my 7 Ducatis over the years, this 1260s is my favorite by a long shot. once you get the windscreen sorted out to your preferences, it's an awesome bike.

as for pricing used, depends on your geo market, the mileage and condition of the bike, and how willing the seller is to part with it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. My neighbor is selling his as he's not ridden it, I'm in very west Wales so possibly a limited market out here

4. Don't think you'll go wrong, they're a good bike. If your neighbour doesn't feel it's a duff one then you'll have the peace of mind of buying a known bike. You'll know whether he keeps things to a standard you're happy with.

Did 550 miles the other week on my 1200S DVT from Thurso to Lincs. Got off it fresh as a daisy, having enjoyed the good roads and efficiently clicked off the boring bits. It's a tremendously versatile bike and after 3 years of ownership I'm still delighted with it. The 1260 is more of the same. :)

5. Mine's just reached 3 years, not selling though. 15,000 miles, would have been 20 with no lock-down. Mines a keeper for the foreseeable future, ticks all the boxes and has been reliable apart form a seal failure on the shaft for the cam pulley between the V. Was misting oil probably from new. Fixed under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 14k seems to be the going rate

7. Don't get one! Your family will never see you!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. I'm on my third multi, the current one being the 1260s. They're all fantastic imo. I got mine on a pcp but I've decided this ones a keeper so have bought it outright. Big V's can be a bit lumpy around town, but I've just had mine dynoed and it's just a HUGE improvement. I'm happier with it than I've ever been, and that was really Happy anyway lol. Take it out for a spin if your mate will let you. You won't be disappointed :)

9. Thanks all, off to empty the piggy bank..

• Like Like x 1
  10. You’re in for a real treat. I absolutely love mine, it’s the best bike I ‘ve ever had, without question. And I’ve had nearly 30 bikes!

I’ve test ridden quite a few different bikes lately, as I’m looking for an additional bike, so I can keep the miles down on this and hang on to it long term, but every time I get back on the 1260, it just feels perfect.

Chances are at the moment, the additional bike will be a new Multi V4 Pikes Peak, but the 1260 will be staying firmly put, as I don’t think I could ever bring myself to sell it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Curious about this, does the 1260 need something like a power commander or is the Ducati fuel map in the ECU writable? Who did you get to do this. Mines fine on the open road but could do with a little refinement at town speeds, nothing major. Had put that down to the character of a big V twin.

One additional note for the OP is the exhaust valve. Disconnecting that and wiring it open is recommended, wish I'd done mine sooner. You will need to use a spring on the end of the actuator cable (info elsewhere on the forum on this) or fit a Healtech exhaust valve eliminator to stop the dash showing an error. The valve is there for noise emissions, nothing else, and it's removal give a slight improvement in low revs manners in my perception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I don't have a power commander fitted. I'm not clued up on all the dyno stuff, but I was chatting to a fellow multi PP & Pani owner at Squires cafe a few weeks ago who told me about having both his bikes done by a guy called Damien who owns Daytuner performance, in Harrogate, who has managed to get into the ECU. (I'll tag the link after posting this reply) anyway this guy was ecstatic about his bikes performance, so I thought I'd have mine done there as I'd previous tried getting booked in with CJS in Bristol without any success.
    When I picked the bike back up I asked him if he had any printouts from the dyno (not that I'd have a clue what they meant lol, just that everyone seems to post graphs on here) he said there were non. Alarm bells started ringing as I thought has he actually done anything here ? He doesn't adjust the fueling, it's the airflow. It takes about 40 minutes to get into the system and 40 mins to upload each time any adjustments made. I was dubious when I set off home after paying my fee, but by christ that dubiousnous soon disappeared. Its just fabulous now. I just grinned the whole way home :blush:

I have already fitted the healtech eliminator and rear sprocket upped to 42t which does make a difference and I've also decatted the big box, but this dyno work is just SWEET :blush:

https://www.daytuner.co.uk/

#12 Sprocker, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. If the OP doesn't want to get involved with power commanders etc, keep a look out for a bike with the full Term system (or buy one separately), as that comes with the Ducati upmap.

My bike, since getting the full system fitted, fuels perfectly, just how it should have been from the factory. In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that when Ducati developed the 1260, they did it with the full system, but had to fit the standard system to meet regulations in various markets around the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. It's got standard pipes, but the mapping thing is interesting, a chap I've heard of, but not met, out here in West Wales, remaps cars at least, and also has a multi of some description, if I make the plunge I'll be paying him a visit...

15. Thanks. CJS is significantly more local to me, might give them a call over the winter.

As far as I understand it the earlier, pre 2015 DVT, Mutleys had a completely different ECU setup, more accessible, user can reset service indicator, read error codes with the right cables and an app. Seems like a few have cracked the one on the later bikes though.

#15 Bumpkin, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  16. what do you mean by "dynoed"?

did that also include a remapping of the A/F mixtures via a powercommander or tuneboy type device?

17. He used a dyno to tune the airflow. I don't have a power commander or a tuneboy, whatever that is. He plugged into the Bosch ecu unit. I don't know exactly how he did it, but it runs lovely now whatever he did. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. i'd be very interested in learning more ... can you ask whoever did this work, to provide details?

19. There a link to the company in Sprocker's earlier post. He also mentions CJS Racing in Bristol who look like they do similar work.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information