1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Getting A D16 - Advice Please

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Saalagora, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Currently have an 899 and an Aprilia RS250. Thinking of either swapping the 899 for a D16 or adding one to my garage.

Plan to ride it about 1500-2000 miles a year. Just on the road.

I've read conflicting things about the D16. Some say it is not nice on the road as too stiff. Would only be used on country roads (not in town). What are owners' experiences?

I would probably swap the rear for a 17 inch wheel. Would also look to play with the suspension to make it better for road use, to the extent possible.

What is the best way of acquiring one (cash purchase)? Most advertised seem to be recently imported with "low" mileage (but no way of telling if real).

2. Maybe @Dave can give you the lowdown.

And welcome - introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too :)

3. I've owned a D16RR since new in 2008. I have a GP exhaust fitted. I don't ride it often. It's only covered 1,500 road miles and is currently on SORN.

It is a statement bike. It's quite rare and every ride is an event. The looks of the bike, the noise level, the distinctive engine & exhaust sound. It is very fast. I find it "turbine like" compared to a twin. It revs to 14k (from memory) and pulls very hard through the rev range. You can't easily experience it's potential on the road. I guess that's the same as most modern big bikes. Thing is, you never feel quite right pootling about on a D16RR. It almost demands you to thrash it, which has obvious potential consequences.

It is stiff. I notice it most when riding (say) a Panigale straight afterwards. It needs specific input to initiate the turn. Nothing to go about, just something to remember/accept as part of the experience.

It has no modern electronics of any kind!

Summary - a special motorcycle that you're sure to enjoy owning. Probably not an everyday ride. I have heard stories of bikes that are fragile, especially with race track use or higher mileage. Mine has never had an issue so far, but it hasn't had much use.

BTW In my opinion the 1199 Superleggera is faster, lighter, handles better, has electronics and is ergonomically a better road package.

D16RR is just special, unique and amazing because of it!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Had mine for a few years now. It has 2,800 miles on it and I've not had a single issue with it.

As above, it has the GP7 exhaust on it, which sounds like nothing else I've ever heard once you get it on song. I'm amazed I've never been pulled over because of it. Also no electronic intervention of any kind, it's all done with your right hand. I did find the option to turn traction control on in the dash settings, apparently it's the same dash as the 1098 and it depends which one they threw in the bike as to whether it's selectable or not. :Wideyed: Very Ducati, but it definitely doesn't have it. :)

I plan to add a pair of carbon BST's next year to give me the 17" rear wheel option.

I rarely use it these days but it does feel special when it does get the occasional run. I'm a V twin fan really and always jump on the 1098R which the Desmo can't compete against for low down grunt out of corners. The Desmo feels much lighter when flicking it about and is a remarkably docile bike at normal speeds. It's also very comfortable, not at all like you'd imagine a hyper bike would feel like.

IMG_0904.JPG

They pop up fairly frequently for sale privately and you should have no problem finding one. Some dealers are asking mad money for them, especially the guy in Sheffield. IMO, they aren't worth his prices at this point in time.

As above, @Dave is a good man to speak to, having done more miles than anybody on his.

#4 Robarano, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I know of one for sale

6. Thanks for the comments.

I have heard that some people change the springs front and back and that makes it much better on the road. Anyone on here done that?

A good friend went to the Goodwood Breakfast Club a few week back (The Italian Day). I was going to go on the 899 but had to go to a BBQ :(

Friend got chatting with a Desmo owner. Bike had done about 30,000 miles and owner did loads of track days, including I think riding it over to one of the Italian tracks. Friend said the owner was quite mature (but looked in very good shape for his age. Someone on here perhaps?

I am looking at a bike next week.

7. Private sale?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I was pretty sure that wasn't me as I meet very little of that criteria, but this was the part that sealed it. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Yes

10. Any pics of the RS250 btw? One of the bikes I intend to add to my garage at some point.

11. Me too :)

12. RS250 as requested

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. Could you perhaps send me details?

14. Dave has done loads of touring incl 2 trips to Germany with me and think he may have done the Scottish trip at least twice. Drinks oil tho ;) and gives anyone following a headache!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. @Dave should be able to answer your questions
    Or find his thread in the forums

16. image.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. Keep up at the back:)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. @Dave may be able to help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Just read Dave's thread on doing 8000 miles....pretty impressive

But having also read that one 15000 service took 200 hours and cost $30000 in parts....feck that is a lot! Now I know why no one rides them!!

20. Thing was, they came with a 3yr warranty and service package, hence Dave wanted to get it done so Ducati paid for it ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information