1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Those Brass Mirror Bolts!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Wasted Time Lord, Sep 8, 2021.

1. After I'd refitted the nose cone, I realized I hadn't routed the flasher wires correctly. That's when I found I'd apparently rounded off the corners of the left hand mirror bolt. And the only online listing I've found for a replacement pair, is from the States where, with postage, they come to £30. Well, I'll get those if I have to, but that price is obscene, for two brass allen screws!

So, can anyone tell me who sells such parts in the UK? I mean, if they're supposed to snap in a collision, shouldn't replacements be available?

Or does anyone here have some for sale?

Cheers!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Look like these?

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=11659

Fast edit if anyone has another pair after wasted has taken the first pair I need a set. :upyeah:

#2 DucatiScud, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. £3.94 each

4. You wouldn’t have a link please? Or is that direct from a Ducati dealer?

5. upload_2021-9-8_21-11-49.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when you said brass it made me think of the 748 type of fixing, and lo and behold it does look very similar if not identical and using Sev's number it could be just a superceded part number.. maybe. :thinkingface:

As Chris said, vastly cheaper than £30 - these came out at just under a fiver (UK).

6. Not sure, it appears the 748 are different. At least to me they do the break appears to be further up the shaft on the 749 than the 748?:thinkingface:

7. Okay, thanks. Everyone. If good weather continues, I'll take a ride up to Leeds! Good excuse. And the number plate the bike came with was from Ducati Leeds, so I'll take that as a sign!

Edit: or maybe not, having seen posts made while I was typing this one. Anyway it looks like I can probably get them here and for a reasonable price (I'd have expected to pay ~£5 for Honda/BMW/ Laverda special bolts 30 years ago!)

#7 Wasted Time Lord, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2021
  8. dem two pictures are there N, and look mightily similar to me, and even if subtly different, prob still interchangeable?

9. Ah all is clearer, those 2 pictures are the same but different from the Stein Dense picture below. The part number is different between the 2 pictures in your post but the same product to fit the 916 based design? Which won’t fit correctly or break in the correct place. It’s a fair reach before you reach the thread on the 749 mirrors.
    DAF173A2-7338-4087-B975-855C7885B443.png A3D6E236-460A-454E-A821-A5B721047D16.jpeg

#9 DucatiScud, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 748/996 etc are different to the 749/999. Thread is the same I think, but length is different. 1098/848 are different again.
    All still available and from what I see, cheaper from your dealer than eBay ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for clearing that up Nigel, strange that it's shown in* an official looking Ducati bag with that part number on it, (and obviously wrong then).

*i've just twigged, it's on top of the (77912831A) bag.. :rolleyes:

12. As stated

0E4D3362-5476-4681-8AE2-160CDC218A04.jpeg

13. Was just spit balling as I was convinced the 748 ones weren’t suitable and needed to clarify before I committed to buying them.

I’ll ring Cornerspeed tomorrow and get a pair, as the 749 I have came with a lot of fasteners in a box and clearly the 2 I used that were spare are in correct.

14. Really??? So Ducati Leeds and Ducati Oxford and Ducati Worcester and so on, aren't?

Guess it's Nottingham I'll be going to then!

15. If they work like the 916 type, they may well snap but not before your mirror does!

Might help save the mounting bracket, I suppose? but they are as soft as chocolate and the heads don't last well - maybe able to cut a 'breakoff-groove' into a standard bolt, or just use a standard bolt, maybe an aluminium bolt? - I mean in a proper crash it's all going to break anyway...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The names you refer to are Ducati authorised dealers. Cornerspeed is a Ducati, authorised Service centre which has no dealership facilities. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. And though perhaps I wasn't paying sufficient attention - and thus rounded off the flats - but I tightened those bolts like they were all that was really holding the fairing on. I'm not sure Dzuz fasteners count? Now I'm thinking what's supposed to hold it on is the interference fit over the headlight housing(s)? Whatever, when I took it for a tyre-scrubbing trip, it was secure enough.

Yeah, trying to envisage any collision in which it would be helpful just makes me wince.

18. I see. I think. Anyhow it reads like worth taking a look - though not in today's weather.

Funny sig, btw!

19. Yeah, the weather. There was a time I wanted a T-shirt reading "If it's Boeing, I ain't going" - but actually I don't have a problem with most models. I think I'd be on safer ground - so to speak - with "The Met Office: Even a Stopped Clock..."

20. Neil, our very own @nelly, is very highly regarded and quite rightly so. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information