1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those Damn Mirrors

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by JohnJ, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Supersport 2017 mirrors vibrate so much I can't tell vehicle/approach speed/diddly squat. A car with daytime running lights looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. Any solutions apart from sit backwards?

2. They don't all do that. There are a few people making loads of noise about mirror vibration, but I suspect that there are many more who say nothing because they do not have a problem. Mine don't vibrate excessively, no more than any other bike that I have owned.
    Another common complaint seems to be finding neutral, but after the first few hundred miles mine is fine.

3. Good to know, Bob. Maybe I'll take it back to the dealer and see if they can improve it. I'm also starting to find neutral at last! Small gripes, great bike!

4. The best mirrors i have brought for vibration are the DP CNC telescoping aluminum jobbies, adjust the length to tune out the primary harmonics? seem best at 3/4 extension

5. It would be expensive to change the mirrors as, like other models, they have the LED indicators fitted in them. Sometimes just checking that the mountings have be tightened to the correct torque can reduce vibration.
    I am not sure that there is much a dealer can do apart from the above.
    Every bike has been run in differently and could have different engine induced harmonics, this can cause different vibrations in various parts of a bike. I once had a BMW R1100S that had such bad twistgrip vibrations that I could not ride further than 40 miles without getting a numb hand. My wifes identical bike was as smooth as they get. I ended up cutting an exhaust mounting off under the engine which improved it but it never went away on mine.

6. Very much appreciate your thoughts Bob. Thank you.

7. It would seem from other forums that the vast majority of owners are unhappy with mirrors. They do not comply with either US or EU regulations for motorcycle mirrors. I would suggest you raise an issue with Ducati UK via your dealer. Mine are totally useless at much above fifty mph.
    One get around is to quickly pull your clutch in and shut the throttle, all becomes crystal clear take very little time to do but will help you spot that police car behind.

8. I'll give both of those ideas a go steeve, thanks!

9. I would dispute this. If you have a forum with 300 members and 10 are unhappy with their mirrors then they will post over and over again. The 290 who have no problem will not post at all. It will look like a vast majority but is only about 3%.

10. Im happy with my mirrors on my 1299. But I have been used to the ones on my 916 and my 1198. These ones by comparison are blooming marvellous.

11. Take your point Bob, but that doesn't make my mirrors any better!! I don't have much to compare with - my previous bike was a Yamaha XJ600 and the mirrors were pretty solid, but they might have been the exception.

12. IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2717.JPG
    these dont vibrate? recognise them DP items?
    got spare sets on the cards

13. I have just come back from an 1800 mile trip through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and back through the Netherlands. Yes, the mirrors do vibrate much more so than my Scrambler and my previous MTS1200 but it wasn't vibration that bugged me. I was the only one of three with a satnav fitted so I was in the lead most of the time. Looking inhe mirrors to check they were still behind me drove me up the wall. The mirrors are too close together to get a view directly behind you without leaning from the bike to one side or the other and lifting an elbow out of the way. If they were 2" further apart it would make all the difference. Even the mirrors on my 907ie (Paso) give me a better view :astonished:

14. 998 indicators are seperate Micro LED, very bright, hardly noticable

15. Okay, but we are talking about the (2017) 939 Supersport here and the indicators are part of the mirrors.

16. thanks, understand: but hoped my contribution was useful for the older bikes with similar problems?

17. Something I have been considering Pete although it wouldn't look too good, but weights would certainly change the resonant frequency and this would be a way of finding what weight is required and where it should be placed. Ideally I'd like to get the mirrors apart and fit the appropriate weight inside them so that it is unseen.

18. Quite. Not a final solution perhaps, but a way of nailing down the problem.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information