1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Thoughts From An 800 Owner

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Joooooooosh, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Italia Moto in Lincoln graciously let me go have some fun on their 1100 demo whilst my Hyper was having some bits that fell off replaced...

I've been looking forward to trying one of these for a long time. I adored my Full throttle, I clocked up just over 12,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. It looked great, sounded great, (with the SC Project) and rode 'pretty well' with a remap and some better tyres.

13B1C534-8594-4D52-9854-1E5E08DAEBE2.jpeg

It was never quite enough though. Call it immaturity but I always wanted some more from it, considered spending a fortune on some fancy upgrades but I decided for the money I may as well get a faster bike. The Scrambler had also developed a couple of niggles... Enter the 939 Hyper SP.

I'll get straight to the point. I wasn't blown away by the 1100. I really wanted to be as well! Perhaps I was expecting too much but I honestly couldn't feel any advantage the bigger motor brings. We all know the BHP bump is small but I was expecting a more muscular bike, lots of juicy torque. I didn't feel it. It's been a few months since I sold my 800 and maybe the Hyper has me spoilt but yeah... where's the grunt at?

It's still a laugh! I really enjoyed being back on a Scrambler, they've kept the DNA but in a couple of respects I think things have gone backwards.
    The new electronic throttle felt pretty numb. I had it in the sportiest mode (active?) and it was still nothing like as responsive as the 800. Lots complained at that sharp throttle initially but I really liked it.
    Also, the looks... subjective I know and when I first saw the bike at the NEC last year, I was drooling uncontrollably over the Sport but in real life, with some dead flies on it... not so much.
    It's fussy.
    The massive oil cooler may as well be a radiator and there are a lot more cables going everywhere. I like the beefy tank and the weird growth on the clocks but the exhausts really add a lot of visual weight to the rear and make the back wheel look skinny. The Fat arsed, skinny waist thing the 800 had, being something I liked.

So at almost £11,000 for the standard bike... I can't rate it as being any better. If anything, it felt slightly worse. It's probably a better bike objectively but it's not supposed to be sensible, it's a Scrambler! I'm kinda sad I didn't like it more, really am.

C5BD25DC-442E-481B-99A9-A4DFA9BDE6DD.jpeg

What this has proved to me though, is that I NEED another Scrambler! I miss mine. The 1100 has convinced me the 800 is the one to have. I've seen a couple of decent used ones going for under £5k recently. I feel a forever bike coming on... not bothered about which model, as long as it doesn't have spoked wheels. Strip, repaint, fix the suspension, make it my own, add a little power, add a little noise, chuck a bag on the back and ride the crap out of it.
    I’m going to need more space in the garage!

#1 Joooooooosh, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. What was needed was the 800 size, style and funkiness with 25BHP more.

I went FT to 1200 Monster. There were a number of reasons I didn't trade up to the 1100 Scrambler:
    1) The 1100 was too chunky looking, not as funky and fun looking
    2) The clock looks like an afterthought - and is still monocolour
    3) The weight is very similar to the 1200 Monster but the Monster has lots more BHP
    4) The 1100 price puts it it the same bracket as the base 1200 Monster.

I would definitely have another FT 800 in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I bet 85-90bhp is acheiveable with the 800. People have done it and that would be about perfect.

Disagree on the clocks though, I actually prefer them to this current trend of bland TFT rectangles with poorly designed graphics on them. The simple back lit LCD setup suits the theme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Some great self analysis there Joooooooosh :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Interesting read.

The 803 still makes me happy. If you want a bigger / faster bike then you want a bigger / faster bike IMO. The 400 always looked like a lame duck, I’m not convinced that the extra cost etc of the 1100 is the right answer for the relatively minor gains. 803 seems like baby bear’s porridge.

Some have said they like the extra presence of the 1100, the fit and finish definitely looks a step up. Elements like the exhaust don’t really light me up.

I’d be more tempted by the Desert Sled TBH. I think they look mega. Cafe racer is pretty too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Interesting read as has been said but it's all down to personal choice isn't it. I do feel that going straight from the 803cc to the 1100 that the 1100 is gruntier. It's bigger, fatter, gruntier and noiser when running. And I think that overall the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Let's face it it really is a Monster with different clothes on. And to be honest it's mainly about the looks for me. It reminds me of the bikes I lusted after when I was a kid.

Riding it is so easy. It's light on the move and super flickable. I dont have to think too hard when I'm riding it. Plus I get to see the scenery and smell the countryside when I'm riding it. These things I cant do on my Panigale.

Is it worth the extra £3k plus over and above the 803cc versions? Maybe. Maybe not. But for your money you do get some lovely electrickery and features over and above the basic (803) models and there is more aluminium and less plastic pieces to it.

I know I would say this wouldn't I, but I really am pleased I upgraded from the Classic to the 1100 Sport. It ticks more boxes than I thought it would. I feel it's a keeper.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ha! Though I am quite vain, I’ve fixed it.
    Wouldn’t want the girlfriend to think all it takes is a pair of tyres to get me to ride better... :rolleyes:

8. For those that think the 1100 is underpowered and underwhelming think again.

I’ve just been out for three hours all over South Yorkshire and Derbyshire and when I got “tangled” up with other riders they found out for themselves how quick this bike is.

A guy on a speed triple tried to catch me on the back roads around Sheffield and failed miserably. That was funny because he was seriously trying. After about a mile he gave up :)

And the guy on the ZX10R who decided to try and lose my with his acceleration didn’t manage to shake me off either. I was right up his chuff every time :p

And when we got close to holmfirth on the twisties I overtook him and lost him. And he tried like hell to keep up. So, so funny.

So if you don’t think this bike can mix it up, then think again. The new Scrambler 1100 absolutely can. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. It’s true, any bike is only as fast as the meat sack on top of it! The 800 used to surprise people in the same way! I suspect the improved suspension of the 1100 makes it much more capable around our 3rd world road network.

There’s something to be said for the absence of absolute power when accelerating hard on the road. With sub 90 bhp you can just sort of pin it! You’re not usually fighting against th front coming up or losing traction, so the bike just goes and goes.

Recently found myself just outside Brigg in N Lincs, setting off from a junction on a 939 Supersport S along side a kitted out RSV4 Factory.

Up to 100, the bumpy surface meant he was fighting the front wheel wanting to go skyward the whole time and I was actually doing better on the SS. (Quick shifters are cool) but a bike with pretty much half the horsepower was ever so slightly winning!

He then hooked 3rd gear and absolutely fucked off... but I claim the moral victory!!

Speeds in kph, obv.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well today when my Multi was in for a service I had a look and a demo of the 1100 sport with the Ohlins and Matt Paint

First of all - apart from the Matt paint I love the looks of the bike. I know the other models have gloss paint but they do t have the Ohlins which are 3600 pounds for the set... so not really an option to buy the cheaper one and add the Ohlins

A gloss tank is 1000 plus mudguards and side panels

So definitely cheapest option to get Gloss in the sport is a respray...

So on to the test ride I have to say it was not the best ride as I was in traffic for half the ride but I have to say I was not blown away unfortunately

The handling was firmer than my 800 icon which has an upgraded suspension front and back

The engine sounded rattely- I had not put in my ear plugs but this surprised me - bAck to the dry clutch Ducati almost..

The acceleration was stronger than 800 but not much

If I was in the market for a scrambler and did not own one then I would buy 1100

But at 7500 pounds to change my 65 icon to a new 1100 sport I am not convinced

I have spent 2000 plus on my icon too

So to get a sport to where I would want it would bring the cost to change to 9000 including paint and accessories

I am sad to say even my man maths can’t justify it

Then I got back on my Multi to ride home and it was like sitting in a comfy armchair with a jet engine....

11. Give it a year and they'll come out with more colours... happened with the 800 :)

12. Yes - maybe so.

13. Slightly unfair to compare your modified 800 to a standard 1100 but I grant you, with the extra cost you'd expect it to be up to a higher standard I guess.

Still think the 1100 Sport is pretty over priced. It looks the part but the BMW RnineT is much more bike for that sort of money. lacks a few of the electronics but the engine is much stronger and even though the 1100's build quality is a step above the 800, the Bimmer still beats it.

The 1100 Sport is £3800 more expensive than the 800 Full Throttle.
    Nearly £4k! As alluded to by Simon, even half that much spent on an 800 gets you something that may ride better but you can't replicate the beefier dimensions if that's what you're after though.

14. Scrambler has about the same power to weight ratio as my 350lc ypvs which also surprises many larger bikes. Lots of people look at the spec sheets and dismiss certain bikes without any knowledge of how they actually perform in real life situations. One of the reasons bikes with perceived low power outputs are so much fun.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I don't ride much on the road but have missed having a road bike this summer with the weather we've had.
    The 1100 scrambler ticked the boxes for me looks and size wise and the 0% finance was the deciding factor.

After the first ride yesterday I can't wait to get back out on it. The bike feels responsive but in a leisurely way which is what I was hoping. I don't want to be speeding around on the roads anymore but I could tell instantly that If I was in the mood the bike could be hurried along quite easily.

It fits me perfectly where as the 800 felt too small for me. I think a different exhaust in the future will make a massive difference to the looks.

16. Finally took a test ride on the 1100, front brakes better because it’s twin disc so no surprise, rear brake rubbish but my 800 now has EBC HH pads fitted so maybe that’s why the 1100’s felt ineffective, handling sweet, feels a tad slower to turn in but only marginally, switchgear much better on the 1100, seat not as big an improvement as I expected, tips you forward, come on Ducati listen to your customers!, sounds great, nice popping on overrun, feels a lot more torquey than the 800, more than the figures suggest, suspension plusher, don’t like the clock the projecting bit looks daft to me but that’s only my personal taste, had an hour out on the country lanes and it’s a good bike, not blown away by it but it’s very good, had a think, it would cost me about 6k to trade up, was it 6k better, no, is it 3.5 k better if you were to buy from scratch, not quite , maybe a 2k price difference would sway me , I prefer the look of the 800 too, sort of neater?, but that said I was still considering swapping!, until I got back on my 800, it felt so much smaller and flickable , didn’t miss the extra torque, within the first few hundred yards I’d made my mind up to keep the 800 (and my money ), don’t get me wrong the 1100 is a very good bike but personally I prefer the 800, the only answer for prospective buyers is to ride both back to back and see what you think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I should have updated this... Even though my man maths did not add up... I thought about it for 2 weeks.. went and saw the Gloss Black in the flesh... and pulled the trigger on the standard one...

Had it since end June... Riders gave me a good deal on my PX and there was the rebate from Ducati and discount on accessories...

Still a lot to change... but glad I did.

Changed to Aluminium mudguards, added Sport Seat (for looks) could manage 120 miles on stock - this one is similar.. and added Evotech Crash Bungs.

Heated Grips will be fitted at the end month when I get back from a work trip and Aluminium Front screen still on back order.. December....

Also added Evotech bar end weights and an Adjustable Gear Lever (Ducati 800) since these pics.

Plan on adding the Evotech Oil cooler guard and Engine guard when they eventually release them...

IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1103.JPG

Even a bin in the background for DB - but not red..

18. The one thing I don't like on mine is the way the brake line loops up then down behind the headlight!!!

Surely that could have been routed better?

19. Done intentionally to mimic the 1962 Scrambler, although I don’t know why the original had such an odd routing?, that said looking at the photo below it’s a choke cable on the original so I’m not sure what they were thinking?, I re-routed mine when I fitted flat bars, sorry I haven’t got a better photo.

31226800-5849-4A78-A0BC-93766C6B63D0.png

12F3BFED-9E79-4A55-BB09-EE7189A2AC46.png

#19 Mark9, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. You see I don't mind that. It's sort of quaint... same as the speedo cable on a belt drive SS, it's part of the thing :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information