1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts On Puncture Repair?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by andyholland, Jun 22, 2020.

1. What's your thoughts on plugging tyres?

I've just had a new pair fitted and got a puncture in the rear within 30 miles :(

There's a couple places that will plug it for ~£25, and many that recommend very strongly against it!

puncture.png

2. On a car - yes - in middle.

On a slow speed bike - like a scooter or 125 commuter - maybe..

On a Sports Bike ... nah.... only as a get you home measure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brand new? I would pay to get it patched from the inside. It will be fine.
    If it had more wear, or if I was away from home I would have plugged it on the road and kept an eye on it.
    Especially as it looks to be down in the valley

Rex

4. Answers will be split on this one, I don't need to tell you, for complete peace of mind, if you regularly carry pillion etc then it's a new tyre. It's a harder choice for me as puncture is in the worst place, depth-wise, i.e. in a "trough" but I would probably still get it plugged partly because i don't fear a rear puncture as much as a front. You could get an tyre pressure monitoring kit? - i've got one and never fitted it but this would be a good reason.

5. What is the speed rating of the tyre ? Pretty sure plugging a ‘Z’ rated tyre is illegal. I had a puncture on a touring tyre professionally plugged with a vulcanised patch which I am confident is sound. Dunlop used to offer a return to factory repair service for a puncture in the meat of the tyre. Andy

6. I;ve had a couple plugged and patched over the years and never had a issue and used the tyre until it was worn out like normal . Wouldn't hesitate to do the same again .

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mate had his tyre on a New ish R1 plugged, did a track day and a trip to the TT, he was happy with it.

8. Last time I used a plug was on an old zzr1100 riding back from wsb at Assen. It was in the middle third, we used the spike then mushroom fix and had no issues riding home from Assen to Essex, it was one person but loaded with tent and kit. Used it till replacement time with no issues.

9. I’d have no reservations whatsoever, the plug will likely be the strongest part of the tyre. I’ve used flimsier fixes in bicycle tyres with 4x the internal air pressure without issues

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. plug it it will be fine but if you don't trust it send it to me

11. I had a rear puncture flying down a hill thirty plus years ago. It was flooding down & I was tired wet & very cold after riding three hours. Anyhow it was no fun at all. I had it repaired and carried on as I was young & broke; and she was another hour or so away, young & cute.

Now I'm old(er) and less broke. I'd buy a new tyre because I can & I don't want to be wondering about the plug/ repair.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have used a properly patched tire for the road with no problem, but on the track because of the heat and expansion only a new tire will do.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. I have just had a rear T31 plugged, tyre off vulcanised from inside, cleaned the area myself with a little grinding wheel on the dremmel, modern bonding agents are incredible these days. I would ride no problems with your tyre plugged this way!:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. If you ride regularly over a ton (100mph) get it replaced. If you occasionally get busy I'd personally plug it. The tire is not going to explode or disintegrate beneath you. If the plug fails you'll know about it when the air-pressure gets low.

#14 GunZenBomZ, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  15. Plug will be fine for road use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I've plugged various tyres over the years and had no problems at all, for use on the roads no problem!!:upyeah:

17. I've plugged various bike / car tyres with the "Stop 'n Go" repair kit over the years. If it's a straight in object, no problem, ran the tyres till changing. Not so good on angled stuff. But unless your using the bike to extremes then all ok with a repair...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Final comment on here, the object is inside the water displacement grove. Meaning that this zone doesn't get worn down. Though it goes through the same strains & expansions it's far less likely too be trouble once plugged.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sidewall punctures,immediate replace!! Check this out. 67691731_407783140083691_414692222143823872_n.jpg 67469706_709974479425979_6656994460334817280_n.jpg This was in my indians rear tyre!!

20. Thanks for all your helpful replies guys.

It's a brand spanking tyre on a 749s. ZR rated. Puncture is slap bang in the middle.

I contacted Dunlop, and they said, "The British Standard which applies to tyre repairs (BS AU 159g) states that no repairs are permitted in motorcycle tyres with a speed rating above V. Unfortunately your puncture is not repairable."

So for my own piece of mind and to be legal about it on the roads, I'm going to bite the bullet and just get a new tyre :(

image003.jpg

You're more than welcome to it, if you want to sort out collecting it from West Yorkshire!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information