1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Throttle Adjustment

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Alastair_999, Sep 19, 2018.

1. HI All. Before I get the tools out a quick question. My 2003 999 revs slightly when on full lock to the right. Anyone else had this. Do I tighten the throttle close cable or have I got the open cable adjusted too tight. I was playing with it the other day trying to take the slack out of the system and I would rather ask than over tighten both. Is there a "best way" to remove all the play from a closed throttle. As I do quite a bit of central London commuting its something i need to fix more than a niggle. thanks

2. I think I'd check the routing of the cables first . Mine hasn't ever done that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Check the routing of the fast idle cable from the left bar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ah nice idea. Hadn't even thought of that. Will wander to the garage with a cup of tea and have a quick look. Ah the joys of working from home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's a regular issue with mine.
    I re-route, things are great for a year, then it starts up again. I think the fact that this happens after the annual service is a coincidence.

6. Thanks all. What a nice easy fix. The fast idle was as tight as a drum. Re routing the cable fixed it. It had been wedged so tight it had pinch marks. Ace result and great advice. Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fitting a twist grip barrel from an R1 is a known mod.
    It requires slightly less twist to get full throttle and seems to remove all play, so small throttle inputs from a closed throttle are hugely more predictable.
    Only costs a few quid too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Probably the second best mod on my bike (after a larger rear sprocket).

9. Tut Tut. Best is the starter cable upgrade, you know this!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. My 2nd best mod (after the starter cable upgrade) was spraying it black with rattle cans from Halford's there by making it a Nero and worth an extra £2k :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nope, not until he apologises! The asshat.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. Hope your patient, he's a Yorkie!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. upload_2018-9-19_13-24-28.jpeg

: o D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Did you get a laminated letter from Tim too....? Dammit, should have kept it...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dont know aboutvthat mod, which model R1? Is it just the throttle twist grip nothing else?

16. 04 r1 throttle tube about £20. As Loz says combine with plus 2 rear sprocket = transformed bike.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks. I’ve heard about that and I’m going to have a crack at that over winter. The throttle is too long for sure and I’m struggling to remove a bit of play

• Like Like x 1
  18. You will need to buy the matching grip for the clutch side if you want them to look the same, another £10 or so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information