1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time To Change Your Helmet Or Not ?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Android853sp, Nov 17, 2021.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  1. Hardly a scientific answer, one would think that factors such as:
    1. composition of the original shell, ABS, glass fibre, Kevlar composite, or carbon fibre
    2. exposure to heat cycling (a composite shell that regularly suffers -10C to +40C is probably much more likely to deteriorate)
    3. exposure to UV (some resins are particularly prone to UV deterioration)
    would all affect the "life" of a helmet.
    It also begs the question at what level of degradation of the integrity of the shell is the helmet deemed "life expired". Is it at 95% or 90% or even 75%? Or is it the degradation of the impact absorption material contained within the shell that needs to be measured?

2. Assuming good condition otherwise, it's all about the shelf life of the foam/styrene. 5 years is what it has. Other factors such as heat/moisture/sweat will reduce that. I change my helmets at 4 years even if they look OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. It’s an article written in plain english and refreshingly, expects people to have some common sense. The most up to date standard, ECE 22-06, makes not reference to understanding how a helmet safety degrades or deteriorates over time and with use so I wouldn’t expect to find any definitive or authoritative text out there. Until the most recent review of helmet safety by motorcycle racing governing bodies, motorcycle helmet testing requirements relied heavily on car racing helmet development. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. As an example, if memory serves, Shoei warrant their helmets 7 years from date of manufacture but 5 years from date of sale. Provided the helmet is sold within 2 years of manufacture you’ll get a maximum of 5 years warranty.
    Beyond 2 years you’ll get the remainder of the 7 years.
    This is in relation to the internal EPS which age hardens due to its chemical makeup.
    Personally, I like to change helmets sooner than later as insurance companies are all too well aware of “helmet life” and will happily say that as your helmet is outside of the manufacturers warranty period, you have essentially contributed toward your own injury.
    Save a tenner a month, starting from your purchase date and you’ll have around £600 saved to buy your next at end of lifespan.

Some helmets now use MIPS and another material known as Koroyd.

The times are definitely changing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Both interesting and useful articles.

My interpretation after reading them was that a helmet could need replacement after 15,000miles (annual average of 3000miles x 5 years) however thats a low annual usage considering the helmets are also designed for daily riders clocking up 10K miles per year. That helmets carry 7 year warranties supports this imo.

Otherwise change if you feel like something different to look at/ match a new bike.

Thanks for posting, its good to get research as opposed to urban myth/ gossip.

6. I'm curious -do you know anyone who has been told by their insurance company that their helmet contributed to their injury?

7. The 7 years is only in relation to build date. Once sold you are limited to 5 years use(from point of sale)

8. Yes, I've heard of it but don't know the names as it occurred in Europe.
    I was told by a helmet rep.
    I was told about 14-16 months ago, believe it occurred in France

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. And our nearby neighbours are quite a litigious bunch when they set their minds to it.!
    Contributory Negligence is the term when applied by law, apparently.

10. True but the number of years applies to warranty limits, not product life. Ducati's have 2 year warranties, but the life of the bikes is considered far longer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Well.... Try wearing a Ducati on your head.!..:p

I'll change my helmet within or at point of the manufacturers warranty, usually the former.

Nothing worse than a stinky helmet, don't you agree.?..:poop:

12. I usually get a new one when I get bored of the old one, which happens to be around 3-5yrs (I did keep my Scott Russel Shoei a lot longer than that but I had long since stopped wearing it because it was a bio hazard in there :mask:, but just couldn’t let it go)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Never had one...

14. The Missenden Flyer, on Youtube, has quite a good vid on the rights and wrongs of changing "at 5 years".
    And at the end of the day, we can all make our own choices, which is fair enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. It’s all bollox. When you’ve crashed it and it won’t take another crash, get another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Agreed on a crash. Mind you, I don’t need an excuse for a new one. Just enough courage to tell the Mrs.!..:worried:

17. That’s a different reason ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Never mind that, go off the shelf life of the weakest material. The manufacturer's issue shelf life for a reason ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information