1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Timing Belt Nut - Stuck!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by scotdoc, Feb 12, 2018.

1. There is a small, ally nut 'elastic stop ring nut' which holds the timing belt roller in place. Someone has had a go at it previously and chewed the edges but it appears stuck fast. Usual tricks like heat etc have failed to release it.

Has anyone come across this problem before - and found a solution? Ideally i want to replace it with an unmolested part

2. Not had that issue myself.
    Try the usual...heat, mole grips...penetrating oil etc

I once managed to remove a mangled nut by filing it down on one side so that the threads were just exposed. I was then able to remove it with pliers as the torque had been released due to the nut being “split”.
    There’s probably not enough access to do that though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Is there enough room to "slice" it with a dremel.

4. That's the problem, it is really tight space wise
    I have the replacement which is light alloy, I wondered if that is why heat hasn't worked? Or could there be an electrolytic reaction with the shaft?

5. The nut should be a steel Fuji nut.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Picture?

• Like Like x 1
  7. No, it's a nut.

Sorry :(

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Get a good a grip on it as possible and then also turn the tensioner the same way. Providing the tensioner stud is secure in the head, it usually comes free. If the stud comes to, unscrew the lot and separate on the bench

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. If you can't cut the nut, you could try drilling it to get it to release its grip on the stud.
    Start with a tiny bit and then use larger ones until it lets go.
    This has worked for me in the past.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information