1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belts

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by sirduke, May 2, 2014.

1. Anyone tried buying belts recently?

Just phoned JHP to order some service bits to be told that the belts for the 900SS have been discontinued, but superseded by the 900SSie parts which just happen to be twice the price (£39.95ea)

What are my options?

2. Try other dealers ( Moto Rapido ) and if they've got some of the old ones buy a couple of sets......

3. Tried Moto Rapido, quoting the new price also.

I assume that all Ducati dealers will now be quoting the new price, who wouldn't??

4. Since when was the new price? bought mine two months ago for £20??!!

5. JHP say the old belts were discontinued about a month ago. Nice timing :D (pardon the pun LOL)

6. Somebody ought to tell the dealers they can't be superseded by the IE ones............the IE ones are round tooth and most of the carbed ones are square tooth.......not a good idea to fit the round tooth ones on a square pulley; and a square tooth belt won't fit on a round tooth pulley.

I suppose Ducati think that will make us buy a new bike..........Wrong!............

In my case it might just put me off them altogether....

#6 Ghost Rider, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Just use Gates 5297

8. Thanks.........I've already contacted Gates anyway, but that must be a good starting point because it seems there are several variations some of which may be more serviceable.......

However, I think you will find that 5297 are round tooth belts and not to be fitted to square tooth pulleys....Possibly there are 9257 which are also round tooth.

AL

9. Mines a '93 and it's round teeth....

10. "You lucky, lucky, b*****d"

11. I've just had a look at my old belts they have printed in them.
    "PowerGrip HTD 5297-58070 x 18mm" I have a '94 900ss I think all 904cc aircooled are the same but don't quote me I wouldn't like to be sued
    Photos for your pleasure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. You could change the belt cams to the round type It may be cheaper long term. Is it the later carb' d bikes that went to the square profile then?

13. Seems a bit extreme to buy all new pulleys and swap them, as you can still get the belts from your local motor factor made by Gates who supply Ducati. I can't remember how much they were as I had other parts at the same time I'll try and remember to find out on Monday when they're open an post it.

14. Sorry, but I think you are missing the point...........

Looking at your photos, you have round tooth belts, which means you have round tooth pulleys.............

........there are loads of us that have square teeth pulleys so we need square tooth belts, and they are what have been discontinued..........

.............and if any dealer has got them, they are capitalising on them by doubling the prices.....

If I have to start p*ssing about changing the pulleys just to suit Ducatis shortsightedness, then I would rather sell the bike..............and buy something that I can still easily get parts for.....

........like a BSA (or Velocette)..............;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. The square tooth belts are only applicable to 600/750 and are still available.

16. Is you sayin' that the 900 belts are a different part number then?

'Cos if so, I won't have to worry as I was sensible having a 750.....

17. Yep. The 900 belts are different....longer and with round teeth :)

18. I will speak to Craig nest week and see what he tells me about belts being discontinued..........Bearing in mind the cost of an SS tank breather has dramatically increased, I'm curious about the cost of the 750 SS belts.........last ones I got from him in 2013 were about £38 for the pair including postage.

19. Still about same money. The belt situation looks to be more of a rationalisation with the later spec belts being the ones kept on board. There's lots of belts and many are duplicated with differences being in just belt spec. The older specs look to be the ones getting fazed out.
    Should make the stock room look tidier :)

20. Older spec??? Well, don't forget my SS is 17 years old...............

Do Not Sell My Personal Information