1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinted Visors

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Widow79, May 12, 2018.

1. Given the sun is finally shining in the UK I have been looking at a dark tinted visor. They are marked ‘not road legal’, what’s the general consensus? Ride on the road anyway and the police turn a blind eye or am I heading for trouble?

2. You'll be fine

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ACPO years ago put out guidance to all forces not to prosecute riders who have tinted visor on whilst riding in daylight. At night; you’ll be processed. Can’t remember if same applies to mirrored visors.

4. This comes up regularly and the feeling seems to be the same. Whilst you take the risk, technically they are illegal.

Wear a tinted or mirrored visor during the day time doesn't seem to attract attention. Do so at night or in very bad light, then you deserve to get caught. If you are riding like a cock and gaining plods attention for several different reasons, doesn't be surprised if they throw in an illegal visor for good measure if you are using one.

The only time I've had my visor mentioned was when due to some local tomfoolery by some idiots, mostly quads and scooters, police had a "crackdown day" and were stopping and mentioning everything. Small plates, visors etc but even on that day the real bikes were simply being told, get it sorted. So once in god knows how many years.

Use it by all means, most of us do and enjoy your ride

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the advice fellas

6. Hi Widow and welcome :upyeah:
    I wonder what the score is on photochromic visors then ?
    Not that I'd buy one at around £150 a pop :eek:

7. Just a thought.
    Agree with others regarding use during sunny days, but you may have a different opinion from the insurance company should the worst happen and be injured in an accident.

8. White Dalton have info on legality & insurance re visors on their website.

As with cars and sunglasses which was in the news recently - so long as you’re not going for a Darwin Award you’ll be fine

9. Darwin Award??

10. Thank you for that, I'll go and have a read

11. Darwin Award

They first came to my attention when I was reading a report of a town being engulfed in lava flows from an erupting volcano, with looters being killed as they stole petrol from a petrol station.

Yes, I shit you not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stupidity?

13. Maybe log into liveleak ....Darwin awards by the bucket load, the real entertainment is reading the comments section below, yes it can be a bit off and I recommend reading the comments first if in doubt you want to watch a video, that usually gives a good indication of what is on the vid, many things I won't watch including animal cruelty or indeed any cruelty, but for example videos out of Brazil, china, Russia etc can be comedy gold...you can avoid seeing not nice video by reading the comments first just to clarify

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Get a helmet with a tinted visor built in. Then you can put the visor down whenever you like, to reduce glare, but you can flip it up again instantly so it is concealed if there is a problem - such as a policeman nearby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Welcome Dave.

16. Been using them for years, technically illegal but they turn a blind eye in daylight.
    I personally wouldn't use one at night though can't see shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Welcome visor dude :cool::upyeah:

18. Been using them for 20 years and never had any bother, Like said above if you use one in poor light you deserve to be pulled

19. As @Pete1950 said. Loads about as well nowadays. I bought a Shoei GT air couple of years back, and won't go back to a normal visor now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information