1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Tip For Dummy Please - Samco Kit

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Dremmel, May 19, 2019.

1. Got the hoses and the clamps. The instructions say remove the radiator as part of the draining process. Given that I can't run the bike (due to fire) and won't be for weeks I think that at most flush of the system with the hose should be ample for now? I am not going to refill with coolant now for above reason (and don't have any at hand) - I really just want to fit the kit to remove some of the superficial fire damage to make myself feel better. So:

1) Is just draining the coolant ample for now to fit the hoses?
    2) If I do have to flush (embarrassing question incoming) step by step how to do it?

TIA.:)

2. lh side of the engine is the water pump housing the big bottom hose connects to it. On the side is a drain plug get that out empty the fluid out put plug in again fill the system up with water again remove plug again... a few times

3. OK thanks.
    In my situation is it necessary/advisable to do this just to fit the kit, or can I defer doing it until I'm going to fill with fresh coolant?

4. if you took the old stuff off you could move the bike outside and run a hose pipe through the system...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not that simple...
    Not possible with a busted knee. What is the possible harm to the hoses of delaying flushing?

Bare bike.jpg

6. I flush with deionised(?) water from Halfords, about £5 for 5L. You should get all the old stuff out if changing coolant type (colour) as apparently they don't mix nicely. Took about 10L and 4 flushes for it to finally come out clear last time I did it.

7. I do plan to thoroughly flush the system before refilling with coolant.

My question is, if I simply want to drain the system tonight and fit the new hoses and leave the cooling system empty for a few weeks, is there any detriment to the hoses in doing that?

8. To flush I just drai
    I wouldn't have thought so. Why would there?

9. if you are going to change the hoses and also flush the cooling system why put the new parts on until you have cleaned any shoit out...? You are just adding to trap said shoit in there, messing up the new bits with said shoit, to me its the wrong way around to do stuff.

10. From my original post:
    "I really just want to fit the kit to remove some of the superficial fire damage to make myself feel better"

It is purely to stop looking at a melted mess whilst waiting for the wiring harness to be repaired.

11. in the words of gary barlow......have a little patience ;):upyeah:

12. No harm in delaying flushing. Drain & fit the hoses. When your leg’s better, wheel it outside open the drain, remove the filler cap, stick a hose in the filler cap & turn the tap on. Leave it to run until it runs clear plus 5-10 mins or whilst you go to the fridge to get a beer. Refit to drain plug, refill with coolant, start up and top up as necessary. Simples. Don’t worry. :)

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information