1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips For 3 Days In The Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Speedmouse, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Me and a mate on this forum are travelling down through France in September to spend a few days travelling around the Pyrenees and then the Picos, before catching the Santander ferry back.
    We've sorted out accommodation for our route down and 2 nights in the Picos area but we're looking for recommendations for riding and sleeping for 3 days and nights in the Pyrenees.
    Also do you think it's best to stay on the French side of the border overnight or the Spanish. We are looking at sensibly priced hotels/bnb's with a decent restaurant etc. We are going to ride up the col de tourmalet on arrival then head over to the Picos at the end of the 3 days.
    I'm sure there's a myriad of choices for routes and accommodation but people's recommendations will be gratefully received.
    Thanks

Steve

2. I have found that the overnight accommodation and the food are a far better quality on the French side than on the Spanish side, but also a bit more expensive.
    Make sure that you have lightweight riding gear as it can be very hot even in September.

3. Go to Ripoll, take the N260 to Fiscal area, and N260/N240 on to Jaca, then pass the big lake (Yesa) toward Pamplona.....Epic roads and fantastic scenery. Job jobbed.... :upyeah:

#4 Wayne58, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Here's lovely in Sos del Ray Catolica but will be quiet out of season

http://www.elpeiron.com/

Spainish speak less English than the French

This place recommended also good covered parking and cracking restaurant but not sure what your budget is

http://www.grangeauxmarmottes.com/fr/

Going to Picos in October but not done that area so no recommendations

5. Thanks guys, I'll look into your suggestions. We are open to the idea of staying in one place for the 3 days or travelling around with different accommodation each night.

6. If you want a base you could do a lot worse than Ainsa on the N260
    Great basic hotel called Dos Riios ,secure parking,excellent value meals ,Luis the owner is a cracking guy and you are right in the heart of things in terms of roads
    Do the C13 it's epic but just one of many,the section from Viella to Sort
    I would avoid Andorra unless you want to fill up cheap
    Jaca has been mentioned which is a nice place busier than Ainsa but you are pushing out towards Pamplona
    Done quite a bit of this area,Spanish side you can't go wrong really
    Enjoy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. And the L511 road. Fan friggin tastic :upyeah:

8. Love the road from Puigcerda to Seu D'Urgell. If you're going to Santander and coming from Burgos (which seems a bit unlikely if you're mainly doing Pyrenees) the N-623 is good before it gets busy. Agree with most of the comments, except I would prefer to stay on the Spanish side, as I find the food better and cheaper and they don't have this ridiculous French thing about that you have to eat whenever the cook wants you to, rather than at a time of your choosing. Spanish pubs are good fun and usually very friendly. They like bikes, too.

9. Plus 1 for the n623
    We normally warm up with that one and stop at Burgos for first night after getting off ferry at lunch time

10. Thank you all for your great suggestions. We've booked accommodation for the run down and the Picos at the end of the holiday. So using your great suggestion we will now book the hotels for the Pyrenees. Can't wait now. Mines the KTM by the way.

IMG_1746.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tourmalet I believe. Nice pic.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information