1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Buy Or Not To Buy Sf848

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Loubylou, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Hi all, looking for a bit of advice really. Been eyeing up the SF848 for a while now but I have always wanted a Monster. Don't know which way to go!! I commute 60 miles per day and play out on my days off so do a fair few miles. When I test rode the monster I found it quite small and not as exciting as I had hoped (796) but still a nice bike. Trying to find a Streetfighter to try. Main question is what are they like to live with? Servicing intervals and cost of parts? The one I am looking at is 2012 with 9,000 miles on. Thanks in advance...

2. Well , I looked at buying a SF earlier this year and after a test ride and much umming and arrring I bought a Hyperstrada.

So, there you go, no help to you at all I guess !!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Thank you for replying! I am currently riding a modified Z750R. Previously owned Daytona 675 and started on the SV650. Ridden bikes since the age of seven and tried grass track and speedway for a bit. Just want something that will put a smile on my face without being too cramped. Have stupidly long legs so ride height isn't an issue. How is the Hyperstrada?

4. I've had bikes for years, over 25 sportsbikes and got more bored of them all.
    I wanted a bike that I would ride what ever the weather, comfy and not reach warp 9 when not looking .
    I took a Hyper out on a test and bought a secondhand one a few days later and since then I've done more miles on this than all the sportsbikes over the last 3 years.

I almost insist you have a go on one just to see if it works. I'm 6ft 3 and its on of the benefits it has !!

5. I had one, loved it, excellent handling, quick enough but was hard on the wrists, the standard bars have a weird angle on them so most change for rizoma's.

Ditch the standard can and upgrade to decat and pipe then re-map, change bars, change standard pegs (as are slippery) for rizoma's

Not the most practical bike i.e. bugger all storage etc, but servicing was straight forward and relatively inexpensive (pro twins).

i spent a small fortune upgrading mine, did a trip over to France and back nearly killed my arse and back (its NOT a tourer) so i sold it for a multi dvt as caught the touring bug... but i would have another in a heart beat.

Just to throw this in the mix, why not consider a multi?, fast, comfortable, practical and handles.

6. Did 17k on mine and it was faultless - much preferred over monster (sold it and bought a MV ) [emoji16]

7. Mines for sale got to say ithat sounds like your looking for the same reason as me didn't want arse in the air sports bike but still want something sporty !! It's definitely the one to go for its a great fun bike but you don't feel like every corner in a knee down challenge! Unless you want it to be great running costs and tbh turns heads everywhere it went

8. Got try the 1100 EVO monster, really torquey fun motor

9. If you always fancied a Monster but the small engined one is unexciting, it would seem logical to try one with a bigger engine The weight won't be much different but the power will - the extra torque should make it easier to ride if anything...

10. Thank you all, certainly lots to think about, booked a test ride on an SF848 after Christmas, they also have the bigger engined Monster to take out too so should have a better idea then. Can't leave anything standard so would be looking to upgrade things on whichever I buy. I have have lots of surgery on my legs so a sports bike is just not an option any longer. Still want something with guts though! Thank you again, will upload pics of the shiny new bike when I make a decision! X

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. I had a 1098SF (got pinched) and loved the look of it, went to the TT on mine, crashed it on the way home, we shared a lot of fun. However i didn't think the handling was all that and i also commute and found the bigger engine almost pointless as i was constantly at full throttle getting smashed to bits by the wind on the M1, at 80mph, so went for a sports bike next to tuck in more.

I would say the 848 with tweaked handling would be a great bike. @Gimlet knows about the handling of them, he can help in that department.

12. The 848s have slightly different geometry to the 1098 and they steer a little quicker and feel a bit lighter. The 1098 feels more old-school Ducati: stable to the point of stubbornness. Corners like its on rails but like a train isn't keen on changing its line. And the 848 riding position is more relaxed. Anyone who feels the 848 is sporty and the bars too low will find the 1098 really focused. Comfortable though. I know a couple of people who have 848 SFs as their scratcher of choice because its more agile than an unfettled 1098, has smoother fuelling out of the crate you can nail it without it trying to kill you. The big un will bite you if you don't stay awake.

My 1098 was a standard model with the Showa suspension. It was OK but didn't have a lot of feedback. I was never sure how far I was pushing the tyres and the front felt vague and a bit nervous - not confidence inspiring. I had a pro set-up which made a big difference but compared to my KTM it still lacked feedback and the steering was slow.

I upgraded the suspension with an Ohlins TTX on the rear and K-Tech revalve up front, lifted the forks 10 mm in the yokes and had it set up again. Now its an utterly stable sports bike and the tyres talk to me. Its fantastic. Doesn't understeer or sit up on the brakes and get all out of shape. Just grips grips grips and feels and 30 kg lighter to throw around. Cost £1600 but rarely was money better spent. You can get a full cartridge kit for the forks but just with sorted damping its now got more capability than I'll ever be able to use so I'm more than happy.

The steering damper is crap, like most European bikes. My 2016 1290 KTM is no better. I'm sure its filled with water. I'm going to change the oil in both of them before replacing. Its an inexpensive fix to try before spending proper money. The SF isn't slap-happy but it will wag every time the front wheel gets airborne. Not scarily so and its always predictable but if I can smooth it out with a steering damper tweak so much the better.

I got rid of the Super corsa tyres as well. Metzeler M7RRs were a big improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Should have added, I'd have an 848 SF over a Monster. I just find them all too cramped and the riding position a bit odd. The 1100 is a fun bike, no doubt but an 848 will show it a clean pair of heels on a twisty road. Its all very personal though. The only way to be sure is to ride them both. An air-cooled Monster would be cheaper to run and service though,if that matters.

14. I have a 2013 848sf and absolutely love it but I only thrash around for 3-5 hours at a time on a dry weekend. Compared to the SS bikes I've had, it feels like to most comfortable bike in the world with no real pressure on wrists and your back wont be in tatters after a long ride.

However, it is a ss bike with slightly more forgiving geometry so probably not the best commuter out there. it hasn't got the biggest fuel tank either and I can get it down to 110 a tank when hammering it.

The steering is incredibly light as well and you can really throw it about but be warned.....I've had 2 huge tank slappers out of absolutely nowhere.

the engine is great on the open road but its a bit lumpy and flat around town and the clutch has a bit of a heavy pull after a while.

Just my thoughts. it is a great bike though and incredibly well made

Also consider the miles you are going to put on it. The value will drop like a stone after a year or 2 with 60 miles a day going on the clock.

15. Just picking up on the rizoma bars. Has anyone else fitt d the to a 848 street fighter, do they give the wrists a bit of a break ? And which ones have you gone for.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Must be getting old, just fitting F2 bars to my firestorm and realised the street fighter bars aren't really that comfortable.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information