1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Buy, Or Not To Buy

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Octoberon, Jul 29, 2020.

1. So tempted to call a dealer this morning selling a Supersport S that's got a few miles but is exactly what I'm after. I already specced up a new one and this is almost half the price. Can't decide whether to jump...

Are there any specifics to look out for with used SuperSports?

#1 Octoberon, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Jump

• Like Like x 1
  3. Love mine. Very comfortable sports tourer. Done over 30,000 kms now.
    Not a sportsbike at all and a bit hot when riding around town down here in France, but 12 hour days are no problem and it turns heads.
    Would not bother with it for 2 up touring normally, but my girl is not a fatty so have no problems with her on the back. She has her own bike so no need to ride pillion on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. We would like to see what your talking about to make an informed choice :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. I've got the Multistrada for two-up touring so this one would be my little runaround. My other half is working towards her own bike this year so we'll be ok from that perspective, too.
    I had a test ride on a new Supersprt S a couple of weeks ago and was impressed how it takes off light a scalded cat and weighs next to nothing, at least by comparison to the Multi. I've always liked the look of them and although the Panigale V4S is a highly desirable machine, it's probably too much both in performance and cost. Still going to test ride one though. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. I’m good at advice wether you take it mind is another thing :)

7. You look trustworthy to me. :D

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Would love a Multistrada myself, but at 5'10" with short legs fitted, would struggle. My next bike will be a BMW that fits me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. No, not much. it's all a bit 'buy it now' in the advert. I will have a nice chat with the dealer before any money changes hands. Abingdon is a bit of a trek from here but I could go down there at the weekend to have a proper look if necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'm only 5'11" and it's fine for me. I think it can be lowered a bit, too. Have you tried one for size already?

11. Yes get more info before you travel
    I’m sure others will pop by and comment later

• Like Like x 1
  12. Go for it - they are fantastic. Cable clutch can be slightly grabby first pull of the morning - perfectly ok after that. The Quickshifter is brilliant so you won't be using the clutch lever very much.
    Mirrors are not great but can be fixed with a bit of simple DIY.
    Loads of really good aftermarket bits, and really easy to live with day to day.
    Enjoy!

13. I was very impressed with quickshifter on my test ride. It was much smoother then my Multistrada. Mirrors...not so much. As you know, they vibrate like hell at speed. Interesting to note there are ways to improve them. I expected to simply put up with it and spend more time glancing over my shoulder.

14. You might be 5'11" with long legs.

15. Clutch can be much improved by using 10/50 oil instead of 15/50. If I ever find some 5/50 then that should be perfect.
    The quickshift is so good that I have the one on the Supersport and the girlie has one on her Monster 821, both the same part number.
    You will hear lots about mirror vibration, but you won't hear much from those who don't really have that problem. My mirrors hardly vibrate.
    Only aftermarket that I have fitted is a very loud horn, a very loud exhaust (Termi), and some Ducati ST panniers on a quick detachable rack.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I hadn't seen that one - thanks! It doesn't have the Akropovic exhaust but as you say, cheaper and newer with fewer miles. And I can always add the exhaust later. We were thinking about nipping up to Ducati in Leeds at the weekend anyway so this isn't even much of a detour. Argh - the sweet temptation! :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. 32" inside leg. Probably about average in proportion to the rest of me. Do you think the lowered seat would be enough to compensate?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information