1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 To Change Or Not To Change?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by gt_lad, Jun 14, 2017.

1. So here's the story. Two years into ownership and I love my 899 but I'm finding that it's the type of bike that needs to be 'ridden'. It's a stunning bit of kit when on song and being ridden at pace, but riding with mates of varying ability is a bit of a struggle... I think it's the nature of the twin, just seems a bit clunky... for want of a better expression! Anyone else of a similar opinion?

2. What would you change for?

They are a riders bike the 899

3. I need a pack of like minded riders to go out with!!
    I want something that has great pace for riding on my own and still loads of fun, but smoother when being ridden slower. The new Tuono seems pretty special and the V4 should be smoother? But if so do I wait for a V4 Panigale?? Tough.

4. Buy a Scrambler for when you are out with mates as that will be plenty fast enough ;) and keep the 899 for days out on your own :cool:. Andy

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. What he said^^^^^^^^^^. You need more bikes, not a different one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. get the 899 mapped it will smooth it out .

7. What's your location mate? I ride with a mature bunch who don't hang about. We are all good mates and are out most weekends..

• Like Like x 1
  8. cornwall.

9. chop it in for a multi, ride slow or fast, easy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I like the two bike idea but sadly not enough room, nor enough I funds!!
    Like the support for Ducati though, although I'll be honest, I was hoping for a bit of fondness for another Italian brand ha ha!
    Turns out insurance is double moving up to the more powerful Tuono... Hmm. Still got to be worth a ride though right?!

11. I find that once warm the 899 is fine going slowly. I rode into town to pick up a plate today and it was lovely. If you love it it will be fine, if you don't love it, get something you love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The multi is an AMAZING bike.

13. maybe change the gearing? race can and mapping?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Buy a Multistrada DVT it's all the bike you will want or need

15. I can't fault the 899 tbh, I've done 14,300 miles on mine and it just gets better and better!
    Just had a wet weekend in Scotland on it, guess where we were here??

[​IMG]

True, there are better bikes for going slow / town work, but when you pull the pin and go for it the bike comes alive!! the harder you ride it, the better it feels, I've had loads of sports bikes every couple of years going back as far as a 1990 Yam 1000 Exup and the 899 feels better than any of them.

I just don't want to change it for anything at the moment, not even the 1299 ( more heat, 90 miles per tank ) plus I doubt if I'd ride the 1299 any faster on the road.

Another bike is your answer, if you can afford the new V4 Ducati sportsbike, you can afford a second bike now, Scrambler, Monster or 848 Streetfighter would all fit the bill I think.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scrambler Cafe Racer might be the answer

17. @Poucher what sort if milage you get to a tank on the 899??

18. Normally around 120 ish mark, I'm amazed by how economical it is, on the wet ride back from Scotland we weren't going nuts and the trip meter showed 54.8 mpg!!
    On a weekend thrash it'll still do 42 - 46 mpg and we don't hang about, worst I've had it down to was 37 mpg on a trackday, it seems to be getting better as the miles clock on.
    Worst thing about it is it's appetite for rear tyres, I'm just about to put it's 8th one on in 14,300 miles!
    The weird 180 / 60 rear size doesn't help either tbh, it restricts your choice for tyres that'll wear a bit better, but I'll live with that as it's probably the best bike I've had in 30 years of biking. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just use a 180/55 that do more sports touring.

20. A 190 / 55 is closer to the correct circumference, it's only 13mm different, been meaning to try one for a while, perhaps the next big Euro trip we do.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information