1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 To Fit A Tail Tidy - Getting The Old One Off?!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Dremmel, May 27, 2019.

1. I seem to be a repository of dumb questions but I promise I've used my obsolete intellectual equipment to try and solve this.

I just want to fit an R&G tail tidy and bugger me I cannot work out how to access the last bolt holding the old unit on. Can someone clue me in please?

2. Long reach Allen key from underneath. There should be 3 of them. If you look top side, you should be able to see the well nuts.

Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'll go and give that a go. Why one earth did they have to secrete the little bugger in that recess? Is it an italian sense of humour?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Have a look at the bung where the cables come through the undertray. That hole’s more or less the centre of the 3 we’ll nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes I had no problem removing the first two bolts and disconnecting the cables but the third, which is a nut on the end of a thread encompassed by rubber ... getting at the the head from underneath is impossible. I can't get purchase on it with an allen key and even if I did there are only a few degrees of movement. I'm thinking just drill the bugger out! IMG_20190528_005247.jpg IMG20190528005058.jpg

6. Put a slot in the top with the dremmel and try to unscrew it

7. That appears to have a nut on the lower side of the attachment - that’s not correct as it will make removing it a bit of a pain...

When you put it back on, make sure you use a cap head Allen bolt with the bolt head on the bottom side.

8. I shall, although I will see how sturdy the tidy is with just 2 accessible bolts first. I still haven't gone atomic on the 3rd bolt - any ideas, I can't get at it directly to cut a slot properly.

9. Can’t you get to it with a small 10mm or whatever it is, ratchet spanner? And slacken it bit by bit?

10. From the underside there is no clearance to grip the nut, it is recessed a further inch or so from wiring duct and has hard plastic maybe 3/4 inch either side -so you might grip but not much more. :mad:

11. Maybe just punch the well nut through then. Nothing to lose...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you are replacing the standard mudguard anyway, how about cutting it off then you will have access to the nut?

13. I get squeamish about trashing most OEM stuff - even with something like this if at some point in the future I want to sell it would probably be handy to return indicators to originals.

14. Best thing to do is to cut the rubber away from the well nut on the top side with a Stanley blade, then the fixing should fall straight through the hole

Can get a pack of M6 well nuts for next to nothing on eBay too. Believe me, you’ll need them lol

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information