1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today’s Test Ride....beast!!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Poucher, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Been fancying a ride on one of these for ages now , V4 1100 Tuono, leccy suspension jobby

995F7F64-89AE-4E02-B2F7-C11C85D381D7.jpeg

At the moment I’ve got an 899 Panigale, been great, loved the bike, still do, but the only other thing I would consider changing it for is the Tuono, everyone raves about them, so I had a couple of hours out on this today.....where do I start??

Superb engine, just purrs at Lower revs and absolutely barks when you wind it on, stupid amounts of power and torque everywhere, just wants to go,go,go!
    Makes my 899 feel weedy by comparison and I probably did less than half as many gearshifts on this as I do on the 899, doesn’t give a jot what gear it’s in, it just grunts off at a hellish rate!

I had a tinker with the modes, tried em all, sport, track and race...couldn’t tell much difference tbh, stupid fast in all of them, perhaps race felt the most aggressive
    The purpose of my ride today was to get a feel for this new electronic suspension, it seemed to work well enough, but what amazed me was the fact that you can’t switch from ASC 1 track, over to say, ASC 3 road on the fly, you have to stop the bike to change modes???

This seems totally ineffective to me, I had thought ( perhaps wrongly?) that the whole point of having electronic suspension was that you could change modes on the fly?
    I had envisaged riding down a nice smooth road in ASC 1 and as you turned onto a bumpy B road being able to switch modes on the fly to something a bit more compliant like ASC 3 , but I’m told this is not possible??? Can any 19 owners comment on this please, because at the moment I’m struggling to understand how the electronic suspension is better than last years manual setup?

If I did buy a 19 model I know what would happen, I’d find a suspension setting I liked and that would be it, would stay set on that forever probably ?
    Once you’re on the move, the control joystick disables and you can’t even access any of the setup menus let alone change them, the only things that work on the fly are, engine modes, sport, track, race, you can adjust the traction control with the little + or - paddles on the lhs switchgear and cruise control or pit lane limiter will work depending on which you have enabled.

Am I missing something here? Can an existing owner or someone explain to me how the electronic suspension is a benefit even when you can’t change or adjust it on the fly?
    And why should I buy one of these in preference to last years manual suspension model?
    I have mates who ride BMW S1000XRs and I think I’m correct in saying they can soften off suspension on the fly.

If any of the above sounds like I’m disappointed with the bike, certainly not!
    It’s a stonking machine, it’s just the suspension adjustment interface, to my mind is not very intuitive and you can’t make it do what you want unless you stop the bike to fiddle?

I should have guessed what a missile this thing was when I left the dealership and noticed the trip meter was showing the last recorded top speed.........151 mph, gulp!! Delete that quick!!!

C1972833-6D30-4B8A-A4E7-8C0266B1600A.jpeg

A quick stop to change underwear!

The Tuono will most likely be the replacement I choose for the 899, as I really enjoyed the afternoon on it, the acceleration seems even more violent on it due to the more upright riding position, every time you give it a handful it feels like your belt is attached to one of those “ steam catapults” that they use on aircraft carriers to launch planes!
    I’m trying to hang on till the end of the year to see what the Ducati V4 Streetfighter turns out like, other likely candidates are:-

New updated 959 with the single swing arm
    Possibly the BMW S1000r if they put the shift cam engine into it next year, but I’m not an IL4 fan tbh
    Any opinions on the above selection guys ?

Laters,
    Poucher

• Like Like x 1
  2. BMW is similar IME, can't change that much on the fly

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. I read a review of the Tuono in a recent Bike magazine. I was surprised to see the rake of the forks is the same as the new Diavel at 27 degrees.

4. For me, I'd probably do the same in play around with the settings till I found the one I'd use the most and probably leave it there. I wouldn't mind the setting adjustment only when still, it focuses the mind a bit more. They do seem to be liked by those who have ridden them

5. You can on the gen 1 model. Mine is a 15 plate and i swap it about a lot. The 17 plate bikes onwards they changed it, for some strange reason - riding modes too i believe (but can't confirm).

@Poucher

Try an S1000r - this is my first non Ducati and i thought it would be a weedy thing that you always had to rev the hell out of. Not at all, bags of torque, stunningly fast, and does it effortlessly.

Also if you get an early bike you can get a black one ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I do like the look of that Tuono though....

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yes, all changed on later bikes

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I wonder if it was a safety concern so you couldn't accidentally knock the next mode on whilst on the move

9. FF489255-6977-44E6-8FD7-86E1EF5987A5.jpeg I hear what you’re saying Pavey about trying an S1000r, probably will get around to it soon , but no matter what bike I get next I just can’t see it being anywhere near as pretty as the Panigale....just ignore ABBA stand and bungee setup, I’ve even subtly included a wheely bin for Duckbird !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Have an 18 plate Tuono factory. Like most of the guys have said I have found a mode I like and leave it in that. From memory I can change modes on the move by using the starter button. I use the paddles on the move to change from TC1 to Off so I can do the odd clutch wheelie and can use the joystick to scroll through trips, mpg, etc but don't know if I can go into the sub menus re changing AWC,ALC etc. Not much help really, will have a play tomorrow.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information