1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I've Been Making Curries

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Jan 26, 2020.

1. A lad at work has been making curries for a while now after discovering a YouTube site called Al's Kitchen. In a word, they are tremendous. :upyeah:

Al's Kitchen - YouTube

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 00.09.43.png

He sometimes brings them to work and people are almost fighting over them.:laughing: Anyway, I decided to have a bash today after he's been telling me how easy they are to make. I had planned on a trip to a local Indian supermarket, but I managed to get everything I needed in Morrisons. :)

Then, because I plan on keeping this up and my nature, wouldn't allow open packets of spices in the cupboards, off to buy some storage jars. :laughing: One label maker session later, and I now have everything I need to make a regular curry.

IMG_8755.JPG
    IMG_8758.JPG

1st thing's 1st, everything is based on a "Base Gravy". Basically the guy's recipe is a sack of onions, loads of garlic and some spices. All of his curries are made from the base. :upyeah:Boil it up for an hour and blend it.

IMG_8759.JPG

Right, which one to make.....:thinkingface: A no brainer, the lad at work introduced me to Chicken Chasni and it's wicked. So an hour later, enough made for 2, and it tastes just like an authentic Indian Restaurant curry. :yum I even made his Pilau rice, which again was just like the real thing.

IMG_8761.JPG

If you are a curry fan, give his recipies a go. You'll never look back.

Which one next.................:thinkingface:

• Like Like x 16
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. Post me some :bucktooth:

3. I wonder if he does a Phall. :thinkingface:

4. You're in luck. :)

5. So do Me o_O

6. Get some kilner jars, they stow herbs better than those jam jar types.

Love a good curry or balti

...and I suggest a Nordic Nut Bread - Paleo Bread - Stone Age Bread

7. They are Kilner jars with a rubber seal. Just not the clip type you usually see (We have loads of those too) as when I went to buy the clip type today, they only had really small ones or larger ones. These are the right size and just have a screw lid with rubber seal as they are a preserve jar. :upyeah:

IMG_8753.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. Must be a good 'un judging by the 1st YouTube comment. :worried:

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 00.24.13.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. nice one! my last girlfriend was paki and made curry all the time but she would only do hot as fuck and i can only do mild.. also we were largely incompatible in the kitchen (much as we were in life) so i didnt learn squat. but i love cooking and will give some of these a bash for sure... ive been buying spice tailor stuff from tescos which is 2 sauces and some spices so you have to get a bit hands on, its bloody nice but its still not as satisfying making from scratch...

• Like Like x 3
  10. It's tremendous Chiz. I like a mild one too and fancy the Butter Chicken next. :)

The beauty of these are that you can adjust the curry powder and chillies as to your taste. Fresh is best, like you say. :yum

• Like Like x 1
  11. oh yes!!! i love butter chicken.. i shall be trying that one out soon!
    one of the good things about living in southall is there is no lack of curry ingredients thats for sure!!!
    its amazing the difference in prices to for ya spices at a lil shop here compared to ya supermarkets.. for example i can get half a kg of whole black pepper for less than 2 quid, id pay that for 50 grams at tescos...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. When you make the "Base Gravy" it's enough for about 8 - 10 curries. Just ladel about 300ml into sealable food bags and keep them in the freezer until you need them.

It was the "Base" that took most of the time today, but I have enough for a couple of months, if we have curry every weekend from now on, before I have to knock another batch up.

13. im all for that.. i live alone but still cook for 10 most of the time and freeze the bulk..

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Will give it a go

Wantz has some chicken marinading to make a butter chicken later but this looks interesting !

curry takeaways are not cheap or particularly good round here do we tend to make our own - the Agas great for making naan to

• Like Like x 2
  15. Today I've Been Making Curries

That's an excellent title for a thread starter !
    It could well turn out to be one of the those threads that run forever .... :)

I recently came across this bloke and I really like his style ..... there's nothing complicated or mysterious about making your classic Indian restaurant favourites at home .

I started with this one , then I binge watched all the other recipes ....
    .... next step is to start binge eating them all !! .... :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Have I accidentally been logged in to mumsnet.com by mistake?

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. Stay tuned for an update on which freezer bags work best and how to make your curry shopping budget go further with some neat tricks. :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. You should make your own curries ns name them free Ducati’s so you could have the hot desmosedicci, the hypermotard, the slightly milder hyperstrada and so On

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. And the Multistrada? How would that one work o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. :thinkingface: Ice Cream desert could be the Scrambler. Good idea. :) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information