1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomtom Rider 410

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by broke, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Can anyone help, used the device Monday to make our way home from BSB, anyway. At one point we typed in Bala in North Wales and Bala in Romania kept coming up, so went to change maps and the only map being displayed on the device was Europe, where as before, it showed various euro countries but not any more, but it did say change maps above the European display, but nothing happens when tapped.
    Anyone know how to fix this please, tried resetting it to no avail and checked for map updates.
    The Tomtom help desk is about as useful as a chocolate teapot and impossible for me anyway to navigate (please excuse the pun).

2. So you're in Romania now then Gareth ?? :p (not at all helpful I know) o_O

3. Cheers Wayne :upyeah:
    Getting used to the wine though ;)

4. Am on shift mate, no vino, just boredom :D Does Tom tom see Wales as a country ??

5. I had a similar problem with my car TomTom.
    I eventually discovered you have to tap the flag on the top right of the screen. My flag was showing a Union Jack but I was in Europe. Yours should be the opposite way round if that's the issue.
    OR

6. I've bought a Rider 410 earlier this year and I just tried it. It is exactly the same. It comes up with a dozen or more Balas with the Romanian one at the top of the list followed by others in Turkey, Norway, etc. bit none in Wales. It seems that the town of Bala in North Wales is not in it's database. Yet if you enter Arenig Street in Bala it immediately finds it.

The Rider 400 series are not like the older TomToms but use a different operating system with an interface that has taken me some getting used to. You don't have to select the country like you did with the old ones that OR is referring to. And finding POIs was another thing I had to learn, all the menu offers is parking and petrol stations. To find hotels or restaurants you go to search and type in "hotel" or "restaurant" and it shows all them in your locality and if you click on the little map symbol at the top right you get the option to choose between "near me", "in a town or city", "along route" etc.
    One point where it fails badly is when loading a route from a computer that you have created using Tyre, My-Route or similar with predetermined stops on the route. It imports them as track if the file is an .itn or a route if it is a .gpx but with none of the waypoints. But if you save the routes onto an SD card then insert it into the TomTom it will import the routes complete with all the stops. Go figure. I have at last also figured out the difference between a route and a track, I think.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Glad I got a Garmin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Beginning to think the extra £200 on top, may have been worth it Peter.

I'm sure it offered me a choice of maps before it had a fit, also had a blank screen a couple of times. And it went from landscape to portrait and back eventually several times :mad:

I think I know the difference between a route and a track, one is on Tarmac and the other is where goats go :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Oh! Thanks for the reply's everybody, well nearly everybody ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Are you insinuating I did'nt help Gareth? :p

11. Currently using Rider 420. No dramas. As with the rest of the newer Tom Toms, you can only import GPXs to an SD card, not to the device' built in drive. I would expect any reasonable company to fix that sooner rather than later. Obviously, Tom Tom won't be doing any such thing.

12. Several of the lads had then when we toured Europe, utter garbage never been so frustrated, sent us so many times into villages and towns while we were on the main roads, only to put us back on the same road 2km down !

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ahhhh! They must have had tortuous route switched on then ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Or Shortest route? That settings a magical mystery tour!

15. I fixed my Tomtom problem, sold it at a loss and bought another Garmin.
    The operating system on TT is sh1t. So many sub menus and steps to take just to enter a simple destination. sorry.

16. I binned my tom-tom and bought a Garmin from a nice fellow on here. The tom tom would drive me nuts.

17. Tell me about it :worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information