1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomtom Rider 500 - Just Dont Go There ...

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by HootOwl, Feb 13, 2020.

1. I blame myself, I ought to have know how inept Tomtom are.
    Our company tracking systems had more than a few issues with Tomtom on our car fleet.
    I had a Rider V4 that took them months to fix the week rollover issue on, despite amateurs having a working fix in place in a couple of weeks of the problem arising
    Despite that - I just bought a new Rider 500 - I was gonna buy a Garmin, but allowed myself to be put off by the thickness of the cables...what a bad choice I have made
    The new Riders will not work with the Bluetooth on iPhones running IOS 13 and later (I seem to recall IOS 13 came out in September)
    That means no messaging, no traffic and no phone calls via the Rider 500/550 units - exactly the reasons I changed my V4 to get ..
    I have been on the Tomtom site, am in the TT Facebook group and frankly, they just ignore the issue and try to blame Apple.
    The only realistic option suggested by their Facebook admin is to move to Android ...franky that is fooking ridiculous.
    They quote out of date IOS issues from when the first IOS13 came out and some peeps had issues syncing up - those were fixed in subsequent IOS issues. They maintain its not them - yet my Phone syncs perfectly with 4 cars, my Multi dash, my helmet Cardo system and my other sat navs...
    To put it simply, Apple now use a more efficient bluetooth standard that uses less energy.
    Tomtom can't or wont adapt their software to communicate with it though, they just sit back and wait for the problem to go away. The usual Tomtom approach to technical issues.
    My advice is - if you want a Nav system - do not go to Tomtom, put up with the thicker bulkier Garmin Zumo connections and go with them instead
    Rant Over :)

2. Yep BLE Blutooth Low Energy - but that has been around a long time. Garmin are not perfect but I have stuck with them as bettter the devil and all that. I was also put off when TT released a unit that was battery only a while ago!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep had various issues with their sat navs. Software they provide is poor ,slow to bring in updates.Are any of the others any better though ?

4. They also have a habit of selling satnav’s with “lifetime map updates” and then a few months down the line drop that model and discontinue the update support!

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. I love everything about TomTom except for their customer support. It is impossible to love something that doesn't exist.

As TomToms are somewhat frail, HW- and SW-wise, I am migrating over to Garmin. I hate Garmin, it's clunky and hopeless and unfriendly but it does tends to work. As a result, I have yet to test their customer support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have discovered why Apple improved their Bluetooth protocol. It makes perfect sense when you read the article in the link below.

It seems that I can find why Tomtoms dont work anymore with the worlds most popular smartphone - yet they can't....

All (yeah right) Tomtom need to do for their app to work it would seem - is change it slightly to request the owners permission for it to access the phone's bluetooth services - until or unless they do - it just will never work properly

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20867286/ios-13-bluetooth-permission-privacy-feature-apps

7. Why not sell the Tomtom and cut your losses.

Then get a good mount Quad Lock or Ram for example. Use your waterproof iPhone with Googlemap or whatever you fancy (even Tomtom have an App). You then have phone calls, music, sat nav all sorted :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. lol, fair point but I only got the damned Rider two days ago and only just finished entering all my European saved places. I have hard wired it in too with the wiring inside the panels, so its more hassle than its worth to dewire it all again.
    I am also not keen on having a grandsworth of phone on the handlebars - a Rider, I can lose and not care - but the phone would be a problem if it was broken or lost.
    I will just have to work around it. I can get a wifi hotspot from my phone to the Rider so that works around the traffic and camera issues. That may be a bit data heavy but it is what it is...It will still not take bluetooth messages and calls in that protocol - I will have to just go phone to headset instead I guess and lose the message reading and caller display.
    I am more pissed with Tomtom customer service dismissing any issue than I am with it not actually working as it should if I am honest.
    If they stood too, acknowledged the issue and said they would fix it soon - it would be tolerable, but they won't. They stand back and blame the improved bluetooth system as being the problem.

9. I didn't know people still bought TomToms

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have tomtom nav inbuilt on two of my cars and have the mobile version on my iPhone too for the others, its only for the bike I wanted a more waterproof robust unit :)

11. Do you really need a bespoke GPS unit? Why not use your smart phone in a Quadlock case/mount. Mounting the phone is push down and 45 degree clockwise twist. If you have the space the phone can be either portrait or landscape. 68BD513B-2949-4D4D-8494-35D1E07571AE.jpeg

12. Trouble is when the sun comes out you can’t see the screen display. Also, I found it overheated the phone battery.

Quadlock looks nice and easy to use but I had mine in a waterproof case which was a pain when I wanted to take a photo.

I think TomTom’s operating system is sub standard for this day and age. CoPilot and Waze are far superior.
    I’ve tried various and concluded there is no satisfactory solution to this at the moment. Pick the best of a bad bunch.

13. Tried using Copilot on the bike but wasn't that convenient. Phone overheated as well as needing power. The touchscreen won't work with a gloved hand and the screen was sometimes very difficult to read. My best mate uses it but managed to burn out the port on his iPhone due to vibration on his 996 whilst on tour leaving him without either navigation or a phone.

I still have it installed and occasionally update the mapping as it's a backup sat nav in case my Garmin Zumo 590 fails whilst away on a trip. To date the 590 has been reliable as was the 660 it replaced.

14. No afraid not mate - good of you to point it out, but its useless as a fix.

That was /should be the very first thing any user would try with any bluetooth issue. I find it quite condescending that TT would even put that into print as a supposed cure - it isn't. Note how they try to pass the buck to the phone companies again by stating it should be checked for updates .. ? Wankers

I and many other users have performed that dance several times to no avail. Tomtom are very aware of the issue and they should know what to do to fix it - they are just reluctant as always to get their fingers out of their arse and actually fix the issue. There is a long and very stinging thread on the Tomtom user forum on their own website.

Every other Nav provider has sorted it, it's only TT with their ye-olde-worlde software that has not updated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TomTom are even more arrogant and unhelpful than Apple.

Which is astonishing when you think of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. You reminded me. I have a Macbook that I never use lol. I only bought it to wrap my head around the OP system, it reminded me how much I dislike it. However as I have not even taken it out the case for almost a year, it may be time to do that and update the IOS :D I much prefer PC's and Laptops. Windows 10 with a SSHD just rocks :)

17. I've yet to buy a bike GPS, but my Gamin in the car is years old and works ok, as for Customer Service, Garmin is pretty good for GPS watches; they replaced 2 FOC and exchanged an out warranty one for a refurbished one at reasonable price. Never liked the look of TT; and I hate Apple as everything is locked down and bloody expensive just to sport an apple icon! Windows 2000 was the best ever O/S!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Pah, 2000, XP was the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information