1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque Specs?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tooch, Mar 31, 2019.

1. I was just sitting here pondering, and frankly I'm surprised I've never thought about this before. But as I look at changing out fasteners (axle nuts, caliper bolts, ect) with titanium bits, does doing so change the torque numbers? I would think the titanium threads are a bit stronger than the OEM stuff, so would this cause a variance in OEM suggested lb/ft?

Discuss :)

2. The titanium fasteners might be a bit stronger but the stuff you are screwing them into hasn't changed. I'd keep the torque settings the same. There is more to specified torque values than just the strength of the relevant materials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. True. A lot of it has to do with the threads stretching against each other to hold, which is why some bolts are reusable and others aren't (TTY bolts). Which is why bolts that are over-Torque can come loose the same as under torqued bolts. This stretching of the threads to secure is why I was pondering this entire idea

Do Not Sell My Personal Information