1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring In Cafe Racer Style Boots?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by dubcat, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Anyone toured in those cafe racer style boots? I reckon they will go better with jeans but don't know how they would be over a 1 week tour. And then there's the safety consideration too.

I'm talking about boots like TCX hero or Stylemartin Rocket.

(ps significantly changed my question cos i realised i was being a plonker - @RickyX response was absolutely the right one to my original post) :)

#1 dubcat, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. 1061A4C8-83F0-4B2B-9625-29B80BFFB2B2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Red monster.. the left pair obviously! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have some TCX leather boots like Converse Allstars. I used them for a trip to Normandy - not a lot of long rides but they were good as they are comfy on the bike and also for walking about in.
    Not sure about protection - obviously not as good as proper boots but sometimes comfy and multi purpose is better than all out armour plating.
    Your choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I have the same ones as you I think - I think I’d be sacrificing too much in the way of safety for this trip as I will be spending all day on the bike for 6 days. Based on what you wrote though I might start to wear them more than I do now though. Thinking maybe I was erring too much on the side of caution.

6. Not cafe racer style like the ones you mention , but I did a week in the Dolomites in a pair of Furygan Teds and Kevlar Jeans (with d30) .. super comfortable and great off the bike

7. The waterproofing is the key factor for me. Having wet feet after a long ride in the rain as a one off isn't too bad. Having wet feet everyday if the weather turns bad away from home is fcuked up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've got the waterproof Dainese baseball style boots for wearing with jeans. In the rain they'd be no good as the water would just come in over the tops of them. They're comfy though and I do find I ride with maximum vigilance.

9. Like @m@tt I did a week in the Dolomites last year in a pair of TCX shortie baseball type boots along with Rokkertech jeans
    Sure there is a safety compromise with no shin protection. Also have some Alpinestars vented shortie sports boots I've worn with leathers, the leathers provide upper shin protection but again there's a gap. Matter of personal choice and risk, in the past I would of shyed away from anything other than leathers and boots but have been too hot on many a tour.

Of course on last year's Dolomites tour it pissed it down for 8 days solid, typically a heatwave in the UK at the time :rolleyes: Held breathable over trs and jkt plus Oxford over boots (hate the brand generally) kept me dry though.

10. TCX converse type goretex ones. Comfy on and off. But they are laces, so while the outer may be waterproof the laces will always stay wet

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Had a similar dilemma the other week when I had a 5 day trip to the IOM, which included some long motorway miles to get there and back. I was also limited to a small rucksack only, so couldn’t take multiple options.

In the end I wore some TCX ankle boots (Goretex) and rokker Jeans (“waterproof....”) as for me the priority was the comfort off the bike at the destination. In the event I walked up a couple of hills/mountains, tackled a load of beaches and museums; which I would never have attempted in my leathers and big boots.

To mitigate the wet weather problem I packed a long pair of Goretex socks and waterproof overtrousers, so was confident I would be dry on the wettest motorway ride.

Yes there was a safety compromise, which I was a little apprehensive about but I adjusted my riding/mindset to this. I.e. going over the mountain road I ‘screwed the nut’ and not ‘on the rivet’.

I got a little bit of reassurance seeing he pics of Neevsey’s trip to Croatia last year on a V4S, where he wore jeans and ankle boots also.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 41B2AFCE-8AA5-4754-8526-992004993F2F.jpeg Went for tcx heroes and Rokkertech jeans in the end .. bought overtrousers and will just live with wet feet if it happens.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Sealskinz here too. Never had wet feet

14. Don’t your feet get too hot? I used to ride my mountain bike in them but that was in winter and in vented shoes so the water could drain.

15. Don’t use them unless risk of wet weather. And don’t sweat like you would if riding a mtb

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. just bought some dainese ankle boots, great under jeans, easy on and off and they are waterproof.
    I've got a feeling they could be too hot in summer.
    I paid £99 in a sale, good value too.

17. If you want me to ride your bike for you to save all the faff you seem to want to create, just pm me and I’m sure I can oblige :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information