1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring On The 1200r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Oly, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Just completed a tour of the French ww1 battlefields on the 12r. 5 days And 1000 miles
    The monster certainly isn't the perfect touring bike, but for booming around French B roads it's pretty much perfect.
    Luggage choice was a sw motech micro tank bag and hepco and Becker c bow panniers. The panniers were sturdy but not really big enough.
    Despite a day with the bike cutting out due to a loose battery terminal it ran well and acted as a fairly decent touring bike

2. In what way is it not perfect? do you mean its not a multi.... But as a 12R it is what it is....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anyone else done any touring yet on their 1200R, who can add any comments please?

4. what i mean is that as a touring bike there are far better options out there, not necessarly ducati.
    However as a bike that can occasionally tour it is ok.
    I cant afford to have 2 bikes, so i have a bike that suits me for my main use, riding around the lake district, and can tour if i want it to.
    If i was going to spend the whole summer riding round europe i would buy something else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I really think that deciding if a bike is good for touring is more of a state of mind. I have toured Europe on Kawasaki ZRX1100, ZRX1200R, Ducati Monster 1100, Monster 1100evo. None are touring bikes, but I was happy on them. If it is your only bike then just accept its limitations, work with it, enjoy it for what it is and tour on it. If I can ride 600+ miles in a day on a Monster then so can anyone else, although 600+ miles is quicker and more comfortable on my SF848.

Have any of my bikes been the perfect touring bike? No, but they've done what I've asked them to and I wouldn't have changed them for another bike when touring. Other bikes may be quicker, offer more wind protection, be more comfortable, have permanent luggage, etc. so what. I have what I have and I have it because I like it and I still like it after 8 hours in the pouring rain on it.

You found 40+ litres of panniers not big enough for 5 days? I would suggest that you need to pack lighter. 40-50 litres should be fine for two weeks.

6. I'm
    Pretty sure those panniers don't hold 40-50 litres.
    I was asked to give an opinion on what the monster r was like for touring.
    If you like sitting in it for 8 hours in the rain, good for you. I certainly don't.
    Please don't tell
    Me how to pack for a bike tour. I've done enough to
    Know what I'm doing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oly,

What was your tank range , whilst touring before the petrol light showed itself?

I presume you did a bit motorway work on the way to the ferry, how did u find the wind blast over a sustained distance.?

I'm off touring on mine shortly , only had relatively short rides to date.

8. Oly,
    As far as I am aware all of the current range of Hepco & Becker C-Bow panniers are at least 22 litres per pannier except the Scarlett which is 18 litres. This was why I made the comment that I did. You may have a different model which is smaller and I apologise for jumping to conclusions about the size of your panniers.

I never said that I would enjoy riding a bike for 8 hours in the rain. It is something that I have done and it wasn't the most fun I've had on a bike. What I said is that I'd still like my bike after such a ride.

I do agree with you that the 1200R is probably not the perfect touring bike. However I'd probably be happy covering 5000 miles on a two week tour on it.

9. No worries, I think there are different panniers you can get for the c bow system.
    I love the bike, and will tour on it again, because when you're at the destination it is fabulous around the French roads.
    I actually got caught in hale stones on the way back!!

Tank range was pretty surprising, lift came on around 140 miles, I tended to go about 120 and then fill
    Up. Wind blast wasn't a problem , up to around 90mph
    However it was cold on the way back, 5 degrees and my hands were freezing,
    Could have don't with heated grips.
    Hope that answers all the questions
    The

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheers mate.

11. One thing I must say is that the sat nav was invaluable. My sat nav was mounted to the steering damper with a mount made by telferizer.com

it performed perfectly and didnt vibrate loose. made the sat nav in perfect view whilst riding

12. Hi were you touring solo or two-up?

Plans for my 1200s are two-up European touring ... If it wont keep my wife happy on the back it will have to go :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information