1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring On The 1299

Discussion in 'Touring' started by carson, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Alright guys,

Have any of you done any touring on a 1299?
    We're looking at planning a trip to Italy possibly at the end if the summer and I fancy taking the 1299 with me as I don't get out on it much and it would be great to get some time in the seat.

What luggage options are there? I've seem the ventura system that looks favorite to me. Last year I did the TT on the old R1 with some sports panniers and a tail pack and it was great, it's suck a comfy old thing but I'd still rather take the Duc this year. I don't want to strap panniers to the Ducati for fear of scratching the tail piece so that's why I'm looking at the ventura system. Has anyone got any other better options for luggage?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Take one of these with you

IMG_1527.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. @royalwithcream has toured Italy.

I've done several long weekends on my Panigales, with up to 400 mile days. I had no issues comfort wise.

4. I rode to Luxembourg on my previous panigale. Went through Germany also.

Was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What luggage did you guys use?

6. kriega on mine buddy

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. No issues with it marking the seat unit?

8. Put the pillion seat on and put some insulation tape around the edges. Also put tape on the tank under the harness. Not a single bit of damage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Could be an option mate thanks. It's a lot cheaper than the venture kit for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Plus it'll scratch the venturashield, leaving you wanting to replace it anyway... insulation tape or similar is cheap and easy and won't damage when you peel it off.

11. True mate. I used clear packing tape on the R1 last year and just peeled it off with a hairdryer when I was finished

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. IMG_0083.JPG Personally I can't stand great big packs strapped high up on the back. Looks terrible, difficult to get on and off and effects the stability.

I used these S W Motech Blaze throw over panniers, excellent. Put the pillion seat on and gaffer tape it just to be sure it doesn't mark the paint.

I went down to Malaga, then to Jerez for the MotoGP and back again. Loved it.

My main piece of advice would be ..... take less. You don't really need much at all.

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. Just be careful with too much tape in the wrong places as it pulled the paint off my older Kawasaki when I went to the TT the other year.
    The so called protection caused the flipping damage !!

14. Clear packing tape is a good idea and so is getting it off with a hair dryer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've got a set of those sports panniers and used them last year for the tt on the R1. Just not sure if they'd be great on the Panigale

16. Try them. Fill'em up with any old rubbish and go for a test ride.
    Good way to find out.:thumbsup::thumbsdown:

Maybe slight buffeting when you take it on track. :flushed::tonguewink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aye that's a fair point mate. Any excuses are welcome for being slow on track

18. Funny. Very funny.

19. I went from London to the south of Italy and back, about 3500 miles the week I bought my 1199S Panigale. I used the Kriega bags, there are pictures in my photos section. I did do some minor damage to the internal tail plastics but at that time Kreiga did not do the specific Panigale fitting kit so I had done a cuff job on it. I also carried way to much gear, including a 5 litre can of petrol which was completely unnecessary in Europe!

I'd use the same system again with less gear as the Kreiga bags are the best you can get in terms of being waterproof (we had some mega storms and floods on the way down and up), but if I needed lots of space I would seriously consider those panniers that @Sam1199 has as they look a much easier thing to deal with than faffing around with strapping up multiple Kriega bags every morning. My advice for the Kriega would be to use the passenger seat and I also had some rubber matting from the bike shop to put under the bag to prevent scratches on the tail paint.

I wouldn't do the full bike journey again purely because of the amount of wasted motorway mileage on the new bike; in future I would get the bike flown to Italy/Spain so I can save a days motorway travelling and enjoy it on good roads. Apart from that it was great fun and certainly do not regret doing it.

20. We're considering getting ://Bikeshuttle to take the bikes to Geneva and then bringing them back for us

Do Not Sell My Personal Information