1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring - Textiles Vs Leathers

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Jimmy899, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Typically I’ll always wear my leather 2 piece on the bike, whether out for a weekend blast or going overseas for a few weeks.

I recently picked up a Dainese Air Frame jacket, paired with riding jeans, for short sensible rides in hot weather. I’m aware this combination doesn’t offer particularly good protection, but due to the extra comfort and freedom, it’s got me thinking about textiles for my 2 week trip to Germany this year..

It’s clearly a question of compromise but I’m interested to hear peoples opinion on textiles vs leathers for touring?

I was thinking of some vented cordura trousers to zip into my jacket but I’m concerned that it doesn’t offer enought protection compared to leathers.

#1 Jimmy899, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. I wore my one piece leathers for a week in Italy last year. It was fine whilst I was moving on the bike but roasting hot once you stopped for any length of time. Very uncomfortable indeed especially when I was coming out of mugello.

This year I’m going to go on my scrambler so I’ll be wearing a textile jacket and a pair of Kevlar jeans. Hopefully that’ll be more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It will. You have a lot of flexibility (liners etc) with textiles, they’re light and ventilation is great. Good value too.

4. For me it depends what the temperature will be and what I'm riding.

On my sports bikes in most of Europe year round it'll be two piece leathers all the way. Tried that for WDW in Misano in mid-summer and suffered no-end. I learnt from that and used a lightweight vented textile jacket and kevlar jeans with D3O armour the next time. I'll be in the same kit at WDW this year.

On my adventure bike I use a vented goretex shell two-piece with removable D3O. Warm and dry enough for UK winter with a heated jacket underneath, yet cool and light enough for Morocco with the vents open and a mesh armoured vest underneath.

#4 Dave, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. i had an off in my zip together textiles the other year , admittedly it was only at about 30mph when i hit the floor but they were not marked in any way after sliding along for about 40 feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. That’s what I’m going to do

7. It'll still be too HOT nevertheless won't it ET!

You can kind of understand why a lot of the locals go with shorts and t-shirts :cool:

Thankfully most of this year's trip is going to be in the North riding around the lakes area with only 1 day at Circuit Misano on Sat 21st. Hope to see you there :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Had an off in my 10 day old Rev it textiles at 70 mph plus, bounced 27 metres according to the Cops. No abrasions at all

9. Ful leathers for me, but we 'press on', so I guess you have to make your own judgement. I also utilise a leatt coolit vest for really hot days. 30odd plus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear some real world stories of textiles doing their job in an accident.

As it’s northen Europe I’m leaning towards leathers, especially if I give the Nurburgring another try.

I’ll check the weather the week before and if it’s high 20’s that might change my mind. The other advantage with textiles is not having to take a waterproof oversuit, which is a right pain!

11. Always textile jacket for touring.But I prefer leather trousers if it's warm.

12. 6 of us did Mugello in summer. 5 of us wore 1 piece leathers and the 6th wore jeans and a jacket. We told him he was being a dangerous numpty but 2 days in and we were all regretting it and very jealous.

I’d go Kevlar jeans and leather jacket again in a heartbeat. I find my textile jacket hotter than my leather one

13. Having had an off many years ago when wearing a leather bomber jacket and jeans where the leather was ripped apart but the heavy denim Levis prevented damage to my legs; I decided I would always use leathers - two piece for the road and one piece for racing.

But, hell, yesterday left me almost suffocating in the two piece black leathers, even with the jacket zip half undone - I was really drained after a 100 mile round trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Textiles every time for me, especially when touring.

Far more flexible than leathers (waterproof, can be vented, more pockets, lighter etc) and importantly for me, more comfortable in most situations.

They may not be as "safe" as leathers but if you find yourself in that kind of situation you are pretty well in the lap of the gods in terms of injuries anyway..........

I've not worn my 2 piece leathers for at least 5 years now and don't miss them.......although I do wear my old Furygan leather jacket and jeans (as in Levis) if I'm out on any of my classics (Bantam or MZ).

Horses for courses - do what ever you feel to be most comfortable.

15. I switched to textiles 5 years ago and while I still have my old leathers I almost never use them, the textiles are more comfortable both on & off the bike in pretty much all circumstances. No research to back this up but I imagine leathers would be better if you expect to slide a long way without hitting anything, like on a racetrack. On the road you are more likely to hit something and come to a sudden stop so body armour is possibly more important .
    Comfort and staying hydrated is so important though as I know if am overheating, dehydrated and really uncomfortable my ability and concentration decrease making an accident more likely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. My one piece leathers made by the original Swift company are really tough leather and have built in armour padding in appropriate places (not like normal armour, but thinner) and double leather in places as well. It also has Protek armour which is removeable or adjustable for position.

Having been spat out of the sidecar on two occasions at different speeds (one at about 60mph, the other at 100+mph) there was little more than a scuff to the surface of the leather on one elbow and on the bum. Even the bum patch which used to touch the track on various corners was hardly damaged.

That's why I prefer leather to textile - but it is damned uncomfortable when the weather is really hot.

17. For long touring ride days, pressing on, mountains and motorways, I always wear two piece leathers, even in Southern Italy on hot days. But once I have reached a destination and checked into a hotel, for poodling around locally I compromise and wear what the locals wear - which is usually pretty lightweight stuff. Light waterproof overjacket and overtrousers are easy to carry in case of rain, and if the jacket is fluorescent yellow, that meets legal requirements too. Textile jacket is good for winter use in UK, but not for continental touring.

18. I agree with your point on wearing what the locals wear. But..."Textile jacket is good for winter use in UK, but not for continental touring"?? Remove the lining, open the vents and Bob's your uncle.......how many "overlanders" do you see in Africa or Mongolia in Summer in full leathers? Most are in textiles for a reason.

I've spent plenty of days at 35deg C in EU in mine and I have to say they are preferable to leathers (having experienced similar temps)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Textiles are nice, but I have always had concerns over the fitting of them. I am of thin build. When I try to buy textiles for summer use (i.e with the liners out) they are too loose. I doubt that the armour would stay in place were I to have a crash. So its one-piece leathers for me, even in Spain in August. I always wear an undersuit which wicks the sweat away. I have textiles for winter use with the liners in place which are toasty compared to leathers.

20. Good point. A textile jacket which fits in winter, with the liner in and layers of jumpers, is too loose in summer. Prone to flap and may not give good protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information