1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring With A (kriega) Backpack

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by dubcat, May 28, 2019.

1. I had intended to buy a kriega r30 backpack and use it along with a small tailpack for a 6 day tour. However, the guys I’m riding with are telling me not to get a backpack for reasons such as safety (apparently one guy got flipped over during an off and consequently broke a wrist) and comfort issues. This is countered by YouTube videos where people seem to have done long tours with one on and had no comfort issues.

The backpack is attractive to me because I’ll actually use it after the tour. I can’t see myself being arsed to use the blaze panniers after the tour though.

What do you think?

2. For 6 days an R20 and tail pack would be enough I’d have thought. Unless you like buying non squishable present along the way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. R30 is the only properly waterproof one. Since after the tour I’ll be carrying a laptop in it I like that.

The real question is about using a backpack on tour. 100% of people I’ve asked so far have said it’s a terrible idea :(

4. I have an R30 and it's fine for trips of a few hours (Do the straps and chest fastening up tight and you won't even notice it). However for a tour I'd use luggage on the bike. Bin liners are waterproof if your outer luggage isn't. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. What is it about it that means you wouldn’t want to use it for a tour?

6. I feel restricted with it on and although it's hardly noticeable for a few hours, I can't vouch for an 8 hour day.

You bike is your mule, strap your worldly wares to it, not yourself. :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks. That’s very helpful.

8. If your happy with weight on your back then go for the rucksack.
    I’ve toured with a sports bike & 30L backsack & an upright riding positioned bike with 3 panniers.
    It’s what your comfortable with as your the one riding.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My mule for 13 days in Italy. :) :upyeah:

upload_2019-5-28_22-5-15.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Last tour I used R20 backpack (as a day pac) to carry water, phone, documents etc Riding with a full pack would take its toll on the shoulders I reckon and if you had a tailpack may interfere with it.
    I had the blaze panniers which were spot on

11. I did a 5 day ride around Scotland and wearing an R25 backpack was OK but I find it nicer without. It does add a little extra fatigue. As above, why carry the weight when your bike can.

Convenience of having important items on your person as you get on/off is nice though. I use the R25 everyday for work, car or bike and have a waterproof sleeve for inside when I need it. Possible counter arguement... my mate crashed his Grom during heavy rain in Italy, wearing the normal Italian protective gear (stylish jeans and a t-shirt) and came out without a scratch. His Kriega seemed to save him.

The R30 is pretty big for everyday. I used one for a 2.5 week ride up Vietnam though. Can confirm it keeps monsoons out!

12. What she said ^^^^

13. Yeah - I'm pretty settled on the fact that I'll use the blaze panniers for the tour and then likely not use them again until I do another tour. Will probably end up buying the backpack after the tour for the odd commute anyway. Was trying to avoid an unnecessary purchase really.

Piece of me still thinks I'd be fine with a backpack for THIS tour as there are two 8 hour rides where i'd be wearing it but after that all the luggage will stay in a hotel while we go out for day trips. I have a small tank bag for stuff i need during the day so wouldn't need to carry the backpack on those days. Don't want to take the risk of those two 8 hour days being tortuous due to a backpack though.

14. C0B69F01-D3DB-4406-8BE2-2263E0B16ED6.jpeg Possibly strap the backpack to the pillion seat or to a tailpiece or plate?

15. Just packing for a 6 day round trip to Mugello. All goes into my Kriega r35 bar a small as motech tank bag for docs, phone etc. Once it’s on can’t tell I’m wearing it and that can be for a 400 mile day. As I wear a textile jacket I also find it stops it flapping around at speed. Horses for courses.

16. 6 days? You taking the kitchen sink? A US20 will more than suffice, a rucksack will just be annoying. Travel light, be ruthless. You'll be on bike and in leathers for the majority. You dont need a 3 piece suit and a top hat. 2 tshirts and 2 skidders, one pair of troosers or shorts and i generally take flip flops. Toiletries? I just use the hotels. Washing stuff in sinks. Base layers dry quickly.

No rucksack gives me freedom to move on bike to enjoy those lovely twisties. I dont bother with clear visor either. Nor do I take anything I will not need. You'll be surprised what you dont actually need. My mate takes too much stuff, so I use his chargers lol. Let the fucker carry em. Not me.

I do take waterproofs, but I fasten that below us20. Alpine rain is rain I'll never forget. Despite wearing high quality waterproofs, I got soaked. The autoroute was a river and supercorsas were terrible. I take a spare pair of gloves though for when one set is sodden and I need a dry set for dry days scratchin. If a set are wet and I have a long journey, I wear the wet set. They dry quicker then.

Dont take too much, you'll regret it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. 49E744BF-449B-48E3-98E9-EAC9ED9DDFF4.jpeg My US 10 & bum bag on me Gixer(Assen trip). Had a small ish backsack too. As has been said when sitting upright the bottom of the backsack interferes with the bags on the pillion seat. Which then made the backsack move up & touch my helmet!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Always at least a couple of skids and t shirts which are at the end of their life, probably to long for the skids and bin them during the trip. That way the rucksack slowly gets lighter but by only the same amount as changing the plastic hugger to carbon but all helps in my head!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Top travel tips there from the Forum's own Judith Chalmers. :)

Although maybe not as fragrant (in a good way anyway) with 2 pairs of skiddies in 6 days. How much space can 6 pairs take up you dorty sod? :confounded:

20. I’ve done 3 or 4 four day trips to Assen and the Nurburgring with an R25 and tank bag on a 955 Daytona. Very comfy, get loads in....and keeps stuff dry (although not officially waterproof). Did a 500 mile run back from the ring via Calais to Leicester with no real aches and pains.

I use it to carry my laptop when using the bike for work (even on my R1200RS as the panniers make it a bit cumbersome for filtering, so often just use the Kriega).

Don’t over think the crashing thing. There are so many different variables involved that it will make not one jot of difference whether you have a Kriega n or not. Focus on defensive riding instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information