1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Bodywork Diy

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Freak, Nov 5, 2021.

1. My track kit is looking pretty tatty now, it was done by Mike at Rage a few years ago and I could just take it there and have him work his magic again, but I'm unsure what I might do with the bike in the next year or two so I'm on the fence with spending that kind of money to get a proper job.

So I'm contemplating stripping, sanding, filling, priming then paint, lacquer myself I know it won't be as good, and I may just do it red then get graphics or get it wrapped.

Has anyone got any advice on the steps, what grade sandpaper, wet and drip, primer, paint, lacquer to use.

Or could I just get it wrapped as is? I think you would see the raised surfaces through the wrap though from the underlying original design.

Thoughts?

2. I'm thinking its far too cold to spray now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Unless you do it indoors :p

4. Done any resprays in the shower lately? LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mrs will go potty. All over the new worktops and Aga….

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. @Expat Jack did a good job in his. It’s about patience, reasonable temperature to paint, patience, prep, patience and more patience.

Or, quick wet and dry, base coat, wait half hr, next base coat, 24hrs, paint 3 top coats over next 4 hrs, hope it passes the 10 steps test ;) :grinning::joy:

7. Or both.
    First proceeded before crashing.
    Second procedure after binning it. :confused:
    Poor little Daytona never recovered.

8. Prep, prep, prep, prep….just in the process of prepping some fairings for painting when it is warmer again.

you can get a reasonable finish with paint and 2k lacquer out of a can….fair few videos on the YouTube to show you the way.

I used Spraymax 2K clear coat on a few track bikes.

All depends on how picky you are

9. This one list grades of paper at the end and is all rattle can

10. To much moisture in the air now. Save a load of ball ache and wait till spring. Sanding, filler and primer is fine now though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yep….sanding and filling for now…

doing me a Rins practice GSXR replica with a bit of luck

• Like Like x 1
  12. Remember that all the aerosols are £15+ each, add all the wet & dry, tape, filler, cutting polish. Plus waiting until next year & all your time doing the work & cleaning up. You will likely end up with a so so finish.

Then consider a cash job with a local car body shop. Really good end result, done now, no frustration, similar cost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yep, so the prep and any filling and let them blow it over.

14. Cheers guys.

Yes winter I'd just be prepping. then either decide to spend a small fortune on rattle cans or get a local bodyshop to finish it off.

15. Have you considered a wrap from Evoboy or Sublime Designs?
    Benefit is if you drop it new vinyl is much cheaper to fit than paint.

• Like Like x 2
  16. You might find many body shops reluctant to "blow over" your own prepping job. I know a few sprayers that say whenever they have done this, the customer then complains about the end result. The prepping for paint is everything and its not until the paint is applied that a novice realises how many imperfections there are on the surface. Bright new paint reveals & magnifies every single one...

I've done a fair bit of this myself over the years. Painting the crankcases, clutch covers or touching up a scrape on a car sill can be done by most people with a bit of effort and warm weather. Large, bright & shiney focal centres of the bike -especially fairings and fuel tanks are much more difficult.

#18 Jez900ie, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I mentioned that above, but as there are graphics currently under the lacquer, I suspect a wrap would show the previous graphics in an embossed way if that makes sense?

18. I think the sublime guys use motocross style vinyl which is a lot thicker than normal wraps. Give them a call and ask them. They are very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information