1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Day Protection And Tips

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Ginger Steve, Mar 8, 2017.

1. About to do my first track day on my 848 Evo corse next week at Cadwell - having done about 50 road miles in the last 10 years I'm more than a little apprehensive. Done about a dozen days at Cadwell in my Caterham but never on a bike.

Anyway, what do folks recommend as a starting point for crash protection in terms of frame sliders and so on? Not massively keen on going the whole race plastics route at this point and would rather not butcher the existing panels.

2. With such little recent experience I'd be thinking more about just riding than crashing. Decent road tyres, proper kit and ride it like the road and that's all you need. At Cadwell no garages so somewhere to shelter and a fold up chair is an idea if you can. Otherwise it's the cafe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks, will be taking it very easy. The bike sits on Diablo Supercorse Sp's - not expecting them to be any good if its wet and cold.

4. If you would prefer not to remove bits, tape your mirrors, indicators and your head light. Leave the rear light so people behind you know when you're braking. If there are instructors, always worth a session or two. Ride within yourself, have fun and remember to breathe. Unconsciously holding your breath is very common. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Good point. Get your breathing right and everything else will follow.

6. Crash protection can sometimes cause more damage than it saves if your bike ends up sliding and then the crash bung catches and flips the bike over. It's obviously not every time and every type of slider, but it's something to be aware of. An engine case Slider would be a better place to put your money if you did want crash protection
    Like's been said above, just tape over your mirrors and your speedo as it's just things to distract yourself with, ride within your self and don't feel like you need to go flat out straight away, and build your pace throughout the day if you feel like it.
    Remember to breath and keep your eye on your markers and turn indicators more than the other riders
    This time of year, there'll be loads of other first timers there, so you won't be alone.
    Have fun, you're going to love it, I'm sure :)

7. Concentrate on your riding and get tuition.

Engine, swingarm & fork protectors are worthwhile though.

8. Just to add to the breathing, also watch for tension. Try to keep the body relaxed, and pay attention to holding too much tension in hands, forearms, shoulders, neck, back... the breathing is the key though to relaxing. And keep hydrated and eat well, not rubbish. You'll be amazed how tired you can get, so if you find you are losing concentration in the afternoon then miss a session and just rest.

That Keith Code video will be worth checking out, California Superbike School are a top outfit.

And if you have any bike racing games on your PS4 or whatever, they are great for learning where the track goes.

9. Chicken wings :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Why do you think you will need any - I assume you dont use any on the road??

In all seriousness the track is way safer than the road and if you are looking for fun rather than lap times then you should be well within yours and your bikes capabilities.

If you dont want to change plastics then GB engine covers and fork and swing arm sliders wouldn't hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. All good tips above, I did Oulton a couple of weeks ago (first time on track) loved it, as already said, try to relax and breath, once I'd settled down I was doing quite well in the novice group, some of the more eager guys were sliding off all over the place (too hot into the bends) I do have the advantage of big brembos but the disadvantage of a f#ck off big heavy bike. Taped up my mirrors and never once looked at the speedo which only serve as a distraction. Remember to do your tyre pressures, which obviously makes a massive difference.
    IMG_1100.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. Eat well but not too well. Don't go out on track with your stomach stuffed full.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Get yourself a cheapo tyre pressure gauge and set the Supercorsa SPs to 32 front 30 rear and check them again after each session or two. You probably have them harder than this for the road and it makes a big difference. Most people do a fair bit less pressure on the rear as they go quicker but you will not be riding hard enough to need any less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeah 32-30 is a great starting point

15. Thanks for the advice everyone - had a great day. Will be booking more bike days and less car days from now on!

• Like Like x 4
  16. If you are going to do more bike track days, I'd thoroughly recommend the California Superbike School training. It is first class, and you will not believe how much faster you can go...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information