1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Experience

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Nasher, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Not wanting to hijack Dabiscuit’s thread I thought I’d start a new one.

Until recently I’ve thought very seldomly that it might be fun to try a track day, or do a course at a school, but I’m slowly coming around to the idea that it would be fun to at least experience it.
    And if I really enjoy it, perhaps I’ll buy a cheap 600 that I could use occasionally to have some fun without risking my road bikes.

But, I’ve never been on a track in my life and wouldn’t know where to start.
    I wouldn’t even want to try to be the fastest one out there, just have an opportunity to enjoy a bit of riding without worrying about other traffic or losing my licence. And maybe improve a bit.

Do schools do training days on their own bikes that I wouldn’t feel out of place at amongst all the young chaps wanting to start racing or go really quick at track days?

Do schools still exist even?

I’m 53yrs old, more than averagely fit and healthy for my age, and still sharp of mind, but wouldn’t want to be the guy everyone else is waiting for on a course and getting frustrated with.

Nasher.

2. I’d recommend the Yamaha school at Silverstone.

@graeme4130 works there and would be able to fill you in I’m sure.

3. Fill in Nasher? Have you seen his avatar, that's one scary bloke :bucktooth::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Just ride like you ride the road. Better grip, same thing every few monsters and nothing coming the other way :upyeah:

5. As others jokingly but accurately pointed out in the other thread, it’ll be an addictive money pit.

I used to do a couple of TDs each year on whatever road bike(s) I was riding until autumn 2016 when I had a big off on someone else’s bike and hurt/scared myself a bit. Then due to lack of money, lack of reliable machinery and time, I took a break until this time last year when I did a couple of TDs again and also Levels 1 & 2 CSS with a view to taking part in a one off just-for-fun novices race.

This year was intended to more of the the same (ride road bike to track, do trackday, ride home again), yet somehow I find myself with a dedicated track bike, a motorhome and trailer, doing TDs more or less every other week where I stay overnight and shelling out the thick end of a grand for myself and my son to have a day’s 1-1 track tuition in a few weeks and the hire of an R6 for him as he’s only got an L plated MT125 at the moment. o_O

F41329F7-D8E6-4844-8AB2-B801AFDD9AA0.jpeg
    C9C3FC08-8089-42D3-B144-63EDFBF5EBCE.jpeg

#5 Zhed46, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  6. Also if you want to do some try before you buy stuff for a season, check out Matt at Smallboys http://www.smallboytrackbikes.co.uk/ and book a day and rent one of his bikes, he has a great little fleet and a great reputation.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information