1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Prep

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by GTT, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm after some insight to what can be done to the V4's for track prep. I don't mean the usual lights/brakes/clip-ons business but under the skin. My last bike was an Aprilia and they actually issued a track prep guide that included removing the charcoal filter and vapor re-circulation pipes, changing/adding the clutch thrust washers for more engine braking and simplifying the cooling system with no T-stat, moving the rectifier and so on along with the various part numbers for the factory stuff if you wanted it.

Is there anything like that out there for the V4 from the Corse guys??

If not, do any of you seasoned Duke heads know of what can be removed/replaced/reduced for a purely track bike?

Fanks.

2. PS. Admin, if this is the wrong thread tell me and I'll move it.. :upyeah:

3. The bikes pretty capable from stock if honest.

the thing is with Corse info is that the wsbk variant of this bike (RS) is a whole different kettle of fish to the road bike and therefor info would be largely irrelevant and the v4’s are rare as rocking horse shit in stock categories.

the obvious really, crash protection, Fairings, frame protectors. Geometry. Brakes. Tyres. Gearing etc etc, entirely depends how far you want to go.... engine braking etc is also adjustable through the dash, if you want further adjustment I’d be speaking to someone like woolich or Wilf for a remap incorporating more adjustment (not sure they need it though for trackdays).

On any race bike I’d pull out the abs and run direct M/C to Caliper.. but that’s in a racing environment. The abs on the dukes isn’t that intrusive.

#3 Advikaz, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks Advikaz,
    Abs delete was next on my list to be fair and possibly a new M/c but I wanted to run it around Donington a few times first see how good bad it is under pressure. A Pal has done it to his and fitted the Corsacorta and the lever is as hard as anything but on my old Ape, once the delete was done the original Brembo was mustard.

I've done pretty much all the external prep as you mention, I'm just waiting to get the fairing wrapped hence no pictures yet but i took the tank off to have a look to see if there was anything that could be excess and I nearly shit myself at the wiring!!!!! Think I'll pass on tackling that.

5. Aren’t they rcs19 stock anyway master cylinder wise ?

Regarding the abs I’d imagine you can just blank it off

6. All I was tought when I started was the TSB rule.

T. tyres get the best you can as they are the only thing sticking you to the tarmac.
    S. Suspension either get it set up for you or up grade depends on your level.
    B. brakes change to race fluid and track spec pads again depends on what level you ride. Other than the above your wasting your cash. Better spent on tuition .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. What model and year V4 do you have ? The feedback I am getting from the 1st gen V4/V4S is raising the rear ride height by 5mm makes a big difference to the turn in. Although my V4 came with Rizoma rearsets, I now ride with Spider WSBK rearsets which are a big improvement over the Rizomas. I also stumped up for the v2 software update which IMO, improves the operation of the quick shifter. I fitted Brembo 320mm race discs and changed out the stock brake pads for Brembo SC’s. I’ve had no issues with the stock front brake master cylinder and am impressed with the Stylema calipers. Other than that I’ve fitted the dry clutch conversion which I found a positive change. Andy

#7 Android853sp, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ABS is fairly unintrusive. I turn mine right down and it pulls up ok. Got the Z04’s in there which are expensive but definitely the best.
    I run lower to mid fast group pace. Low 1.40’s at Donington. If you’re blisteringly quick, set ups change hugely :):upyeah:
    I’m doing Donington on the 2nd July. Hopefully this shit weather will have fekked off by then :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I'm there on the 2nd with a couple of other V4's, will track you down and say Hi..

I run Z04's too with T-drives on the Ape which were mega and have them in the V4 with HPK's so I'm hoping this thing's gonna stop on a penny. If you see a V4 run off at Melbourne, I was wrong!!!

10. It's a 2018 but a 19my so I don't know is the answer, how can I tell if its Gen 1 or 2??

By V2 do you mean the Evo update for the traction mapping???
    I was wondering about this and whether it would mess with the up map's fueling??

11. Great!! Come and say hello. I might set up outside with a generator. I think garage space is an issue with this Covid shite. We’ll see when I get there.

Here’s my bike for id purposes :):upyeah: Exciting Melbourne

5EDE6489-17E6-4B2A-ADB4-D5E949641280.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1

12. Low 1:40’s isn’t bad at all for track day pace mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Can’t crack 1.40. I think I’ll crack my body/bike first :joy:

14. it’s not worth it unless you’re racing mate.

it’s why I spent a lot of last year upside down in the gravel, trying to find that last few tenths :joy:

unless the bike is absolutely right, you’re on a thin veneer and things can and do go wrong :sob:££££

being able to circulate at low 1:40 pace without trying is one thing and a good thing at that, but finding that time to go below 1:40 on a trackday situation requires a lot

look at Sylvan for instance, high 1:37’s on a totally stock gixxer thousand. That’s absolutely ridiculous ! But you can see he’s on the limit, and he did nearly spoon it at Oulton recently haha

#14 Advikaz, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. It'll be my first time on the V4 so will be lucky to crack 2:40!!! :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I wouldn’t even worry about modifying it then dude, just ride it and put some protection on it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Go for the evo2 software upgrade. It’s expensive but bloody brilliant! I was hooning round that long left hander at Valencia like a pro! Pure electronics, effin brilliant! If I tried it on my old 1098R I’d have highsided straight into the clinic :laughing:

And I swear it’s given the bike more poke. Feels mental. Mines a 2018 btw.

18. Absolutely. I always have a little chuckle to myself when I wheel my bike (in one piece) back into the van.
    I’ll generally hit my peak pace in the afternoon. Then have a squeaky bum moment, followed by a word with myself. Then back off :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ha.. Sounds like me...

Does the Evo 2 not affect the Up-map ?

20. Pretty certain it doesn’t. Certainly no dash lights anyway. I’ve got a document on it somewhere. I’ll put it up when I fire up my laptop :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information