1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Riders - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Advikaz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. It's not the whole story but carrying corner speed does improve your lap time. Many riders complain about riders who are fast in a straight line but brake far too early and end up being a mobile chicane. Get on the throttle as early as you can coming out of a bend, get off the brakes as soon as you can preparing for a bend and just nail the throttle at all other times. The best thing for any track day rider is tuition on the day. Andy

2. That's (almost) how I used to ride my DD bike. Except I was in the gas at the apex latest and often full gas.

Crafar does days with NL still I think at Cartagena and other places. :)

3. Get a minitwin, its the only way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm trying to remember what I do, because it's just automatic..

I've a feeling I'm driving through the corner, but honestly there's not much that goes past me in the bends or under braking. I'm just obviously shit elsewhere ha ha, corner exit is my weakness and running wide.

Just wondering if I've been doing it wrong

5. Rear suspension squats under acceleration, steering geometry opens up and the bike runs wide. A minor adjustment to the rear shock preload to reduce the squat should help. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. By the way that's not me but advice I was given on a track day by the resident suspension guru for exactly that problem and it worked for me. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I'm hoping the slipper clutch on the 1299 will reduce the anus twitch under heavy braking and help me hold a better line at all

8. My gsxr thou used to run wide on corner exit (fast road mind). Dropped the front 5mm and problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Could also be had too early. If you try and grab some time too early it can push wide and you have to chop the throttle again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Problem I found in my whole 3 track days is how deep can you brake without disappearing into the gravel, how far can I lean before the front tucks and how hard can I get on the gas without launching myself skyward? How do I know the limits without crashing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. All comes down to feel from feedback and understanding what the bike is saying to you

12. Very likely getting on the gas too early, and if you're anything like I was you could have gone into the corner a lot faster. I learn the same lesson regularly with the Panigale, it's like a go through a cycle everytime I get a bit quicker. The bike trail brakes so easy right into the apex that you scrub off too much speed before you get to it and then end up getting back on the gas way to early and go wide. You then end up not able to get on full throttle because of going wide.

• Thanks Thanks x 1

13. Appreciate the insight mate

14. If you listen to many track tutors, they also say its brakes or gas. Never! coasting. Also that tyres need brakes to the apex to squash the tyre, add grip and ensure the front has the best chance possible to grip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. This is my ethos

Surely that goes against what Mcn are getting at then ?

16. Seems to, but seen footage of Neaves on track and he is quick..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yes. It's what Crafar advocates, not sure about Haslam. Idea being it can't overload the front but gives enough grip and it's far easier to turn a bike off the brakes.

I'm a CSS guy myself, and they also advocate off brakes asap but to Carry speed thru the apex and use gas to moderate exit. Well kind of :)

18. TBH do what's best for you. Brake into apex doesn't suit me so i struggle with that.

19. I just never think it's worth the low side ....

I'm not racing anyone after all

Do Not Sell My Personal Information