1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Track Timers

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by asif_15, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Guys

Can you let me know what devices you are using to time your laps on track and your views (+ and -).

Obviously there is the inbuilt lap timer but I want something more accurate using GPS or whatever. Also I am guessing Ducati have their own software can be added - anyone have any experience / comments?

Thanks in advance!

Asif

2. racechrono android app (€4) and a €25 cheap android phone on a Ram mount.
    Its brilliant and better than the €600 build in Ducati GPS laptimer
    It also
    Links to GoPro
    Produces video like this Shared album - Pete Keys - Google Photos staight off the phone. (it takes a bit of work but easy when you know how)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Another vote for RaceChrono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ideally you need to get yourself an external bluetooth GPS if you are using your mobile. Mobile GPS are too low an update frequency for decent timing so inherently inaccurate but also unreliable at many tracks. That said even the Ducati GPS and the 2D one in my DAir suit can often not lock on properly and give you spaghetti when you review the data. I think the 600 euro mentioned above is for the GPS and the Ducati Data Analyser, it's about £250 for just the GPS unit which I'm pretty sure can work on it's own and just saves the laptimes on the dash (never thought to confirm this as I have the DDA fitted all the time). If you just want lap times then it's really nice having it on the dash working automatically as you go around the track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Never found any app that works. Refresh rate terrible on most phones anyway, but apps....

6. Thanks for all your responses everyone. Really useful stuff.

I myself have used Track Addict before when using an S1000RR but found it ok at best.

After doing some research I am leaning towards Ducati's own system - I know its expensive but I am pretty much converting the 959 to track only so might as well get full on technical. Has anyone got direct experience of using it and can review?

7. This is why you need to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I use a Garmin GLO velcro-ed to the tail piece. It updates 9 times a second and picks up 17 satellites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Agreed. I have the Dual XGPS150A for that same reason. It was the one recommended by Harry's LapTimer when I got that for the car a couple of years ago

9. I have the full DDA + Data Logging kit on the bike which includes a lot of channels

my experience so far is if you are looking for a quick and easy to use lap timer then DDA has not been it (for me).

The DDA system is a bit fiddly plus you have to remember to switch off or disconnect the DDA dongle unless you want to fill it up with exciting data like standing still in the garage between sessions...

I also find the DDA GPS can be a bit hit or miss whereas the Harry's lap timer + DUAL GPS has been rock solid and aligns with official timings from TSL

If you want to log lots of data and get really deep into it the DDA system is good

• Like Like x 1
  10. So sounds like:
    Cheap phone that takes a Bluetooth connection
    Bluetooth GPS dongle with at least 10mhz for a chance at accuracy
    Harry's lap timer or race crono

Right, eBay links needed ;)

11. I found Amazon cheapest for the gps gizmo (as I do with a lot of things these days, unless used).

• Like Like x 1
  12. One nice feature of the DUAL GPS is it has its own app which tells you things like battery life, satellites found, satellites locked etc

DUAL GPS1.png

DUAL GPS2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. It is a really nice bit of kit, but not cheap (from memory). I think mine was about £120. A few used ones on eBay though... Dual XGPS 150A | eBay

14. Does this do what you are talking about ? Andy
    IMG_0198.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  15. No. I'll take it off your hands for £20 ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I reckon if you're gonna bother get a 50Hz unit to have useful and accurate results.
    I have 10Hz and it's shit - at 120MPH you could be up to plus or minus 5 metres out which is useless for anything meaningful.
    Was thinking about going the PZRacing route simply as theirs look to have the highest GPS poll rate (50Hz).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wot, no Wotsits ? Cheapskate :p. Andy

18. Only ever work in cold hard cash matey :upyeah:

You can't eat a tenner ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. You wanna hire a small chinese boy to stand at the side with a casio. I can provide all of the above on PCP basic. I also accept part exchange on small chinese boys and casios.

* will require rice and batteries

Do Not Sell My Personal Information