1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday Van?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by JoePeps, Nov 22, 2020.

1. I’m thinking about getting a daily van to use for trackdays between me and my mate. We do 16 to 20 a year so hire vans are expensive and a bit of a ballache to sort.

So trying to work out what to go for, budget of around £10k. Ideally I’d like something nice that I wouldn’t mind using everyday, been through the usual transit/vivaro options and then stumbled across this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Mer...856730?hash=item343505915a:g:TlMAAOSwtDNfoAM-

in my head it’s almost perfect. Yes high miles but has a ramp, loads of storage, will have been maintained well and probably thrashed less than your usual builders tranny? So would it be a good slightly humorous option?!

2. I’ve worked in merc stealers a fair few ambulances in for new engines technicians said it was down to them being thrashed from cold on 999 runs.

You might be able to get it’s history from a Mercedes dealer ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. And it
    Plus it has a bed in the back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yeah I did think that. But they’re auto, heavy and slow so I was hoping that means they weren’t bounced off the limiter too much. But just a guess!

5. I had a glance at the mileage close to 300k unless it’s had a replace the engine and/or box for me it’d be a no no.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I use a toyota hi ace and there brilliant vans.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Probably still run longer than most Fiat's

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Priority parking and straight to front of que waiting for track to open:upyeah:
    Shrewd move that.

9. I wouldn't touch a merc commercial with a 10ft barge pole especially not an ex service motor. It'll have had a HARD life. Merc unless they're from the last few years rust like the titanic as well.

A lot of the guys I know who work with commercials told me to avoid merc. I had a LWB Sprinter for a while and regretted it. A LOT.

What size van you after?

10. Thats class, almost worth doing the licence although finding parking would be a pain.

Big enough for 2 bikes and all the gear, so lwb transit sized, or mwb on the bigger ones. Thought this might be ok, Renaults always driven ok with the rental ones I’ve had.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-de...romSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_vans

I have thought about selling the M3 and buying an awesome VW but I don’t think I can live without a nice car.

• Like Like x 1

11. Haha, I know what you mean my dude. That renault looks alright. I don't know much about the masters. The traffics get a bad wrap because of the clutches but everything has a weakness and commercials generally get abused !

I love my Transporter. I've owned some really cool cars in the last 10 years and weirdly it's my favourite and it's not even a car :joy:

It wasn't long ago I was looking at Astons and Mclaren's and now I'm rolling around in a panel van and happy as Larry ! haha

• Like Like x 3
  12. I ran a mwb mid height Renault master for about 12k miles over 4 or 5 years. Had 250k on the clock, was a bit ropey in areas, clutch would get a bit close to the floor if in traffic too long. Bough for £700, sold for £750.

I could get three bikes at a push or two bikes plus gennie and loads and loads of kit. Part converted for day van with seating, bed etc and could still just get two bikes amd kit in there

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. I thought it looked ok and plenty of room to kit it out properly rather than everything just lobbed in on the bikes. Seems to be a few about on reasonable miles too.

Ha I’m the same, I’m trying to buy a Clio Trophy as well to be honest, if that works out any it covers off a fun car that doesn’t lose money on the drive then I’d maybe get a nicer van. The M3 has gone up about £4K since I’ve bought it and probably only going one way so I don’t want to cut short any profit either!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Perfect thanks, just what I’m after.

15. You can have a hell of a lot of fun in an ‘awesome VW van’ my T6 has 245 bhp and 550 Nm of torque, run through a DSG gearbox its a bloody hoot. You can throw bags of shite in it to take to the tip or roll out the rear seats and put two bikes in it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I run a Merc Vito SWB, manual and runs like a dream. Fits 2 bikes in with kit. Maybe looking at changing it, in the next 3 months or so.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Costs a bit more than 10k tho mate, or I’d be buying one ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information