1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tradesmens Guide To Customer Service.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BIG M, Mar 15, 2018.

1. I've recently had work done by both an electrician and plumber. I don't have regular tradesmen it's more a case of who I can get to do the job at the time, so I've had few over the years. However they all seem to use the same degree of customer service. I was wondering if it's tought at trademan college or there's a book of guidelines. I know there are a good few tradesmen on here so what I'm saying is tongue in cheek so don't take it to heart as I am saying it jokingly-ish :) .So here's what I imagine is in the book of guidelines:

1. 24 hour service means 24 hour answer phone service. This way potential customers can ring anytime with an emergency such as a burst pipe or smouldering electrics. Don't worry about ringing back because by the time you've checked your phone a fortnight later thier house will have either washed away or been reduced to rubble.

2. Always let your answer phone pick up messages. This way you can cherry pick the jobs you want to do. But always remember NOT to ring back and let the customer know the jobs you can't/don't want to do.

3. If a potential customer catches you off guard and you answer the phone thinking it is your investment banker or champagne supplier, and you haven't time to do the job politely tell them you'll be round first thing in the morning then immediately block their number and erase it from your phone and memory.

4. On arrival at a job, when you're presented with the problem always remember no matter how minor it is to use the tradesmens internationally recognised language of expression, which is shaking your head whilst tutting and sucking air through your teeth whilst randomly poking the volt meter in things. This psychologically prepares the customer for the large ensuing bill.

5. Never carry anything in your van other than your tools. This way upon diagnosis of the problem you can spend the next four hours travelling to the suppliers thats the furthest away from where you are to pick up supplies/have a brew/chat up the woman behind the counter, all whilst the customer is paying your hourly rate. Don't forget to add at least 100% to price of the parts bought.

6. You've returned with parts in hand. Empty the entire content of your tool box out on the floor for full effect then click the new part into place. Have another random poke around with the meter then repack your toolbox.

7. Whilst preparing the bill with your extra large screen calculator that can accommodate more zeros than your average device, tell the customer how lucky they were you were able to squeeze them in and it was a good job you came when you did because the house was about to explode.

8. Remember cash is tax free!!

Having said all this tradesmen have always done a good job for me and we all value you so I hope no one is offended :upyeah:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Somebody's been hurt in the past. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. I got a whole 2 1/2 hours out of my builders today before they left....................

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Our vans carry all the tools, refrigerant and spares need to resolve 98% of the call outs we attend.
    Prospects and clients get very annoyed when they cannot connect to the tradesman directly. What they tend to forget is that we may be driving, up a ladder, brazing, talking to another prospect / customer, working below ground or in an area with no signal. I always call back as soon as I'm able and never answer my phone when driving (even handsfree) or when talking to a customer/prospect.

We hold stocks of spares, equipment, refrigerant and there is literally nothing I could get from a wholesaler that we wouldn't have in stock.
    It goes against everything I was taught in my MBA and years of working in manufacturing as we have a very large capital employed compared to the tradesman model described above.
    I don't care. I like how we work and consider every job as if I was customer.
    95% of all my work is referral, so we must be doing something right.

PS
    I've at least one customer on here :innocent:

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. You're a good one! Do you do 300 mile call outs up to Lancashire. If so your hired!:innocent:

7. And always rubbish another tradesman work, bandy ‘cowboy ‘ and ‘bodge’ around a lot

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Err.. no..
    Inside M25 and the counties that touch it, plus Hampshire and Oxford.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. I have been thinking as to whether on this forum there is room for people to advertise their skills, ok it's selling/advertising but maybe beneficial to people on here or beyond...I'd personally feel better getting a plumber or whatever off here than putting a pin in the phone book.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Some fair point's made and i can relate to a lot of them,i have just got in from seeing a customer and my phone rang twice while i was with my customer and i chose to ignore the calls as i think its bad manners to take calls while with a prospective customer. It is now 7pm and having just got home i have no intention of calling the missed calls back as i have a life outside work and i am not on 24 hour call,i will in phone them back tomorrow at a convenient time. Perhaps a customer's from hell program wold be apt.

Why do they think is ok to phone you late night
    Why try to knock you down on price
    Why do they think you should work for £50 a day ,they look gobsmacked when i tell them its £250 a day for 2 of us.
    Why do they think you should drop the price because they offer you cash
    Why do they think is ok to not offer make you a cuppa while they stand there drinking a brew
    Why do they not like letting you use there loo ( number 1 only) don't worry i will piss on your geraniums
    Why do they think it is ok to pay you when it suits them
    Why do they pay with rubber cheques
    Why do they pick fault when the job is not finished
    Why do look gobsmacked when you ask for a stage payment
    Why do they ignore your calls when the bill is due
    Why do they insist on being in the house while you are working as if you are going to rob them if they go out
    Why always comment you must be expensive because your driving a new van
    Moan when you leave early because its pissing down
    Why do they think they should pay you half a day if you finish at 3 oclock even when you are on a price

Customer relations work both ways,i have been lucky over 30 years as 98% of my customers have been golden.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. you nailed it there, just you forgot to mention that you are quoting specifically out of the plumbers and electricians handbook only, other tradesman are slightly better .........................:innocent:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yep you're right it does cut both ways. The worst for me is when they don't ring back at all. I don't expect people to pick up straight away, I don't. It's just common courtesy to return a call and I think it's just rude when they don't. That goes for any situation but especially when you're offering them work.

13. The builder I use is ledgendary for being a borderline slave driver. He makes his lads work flat out for 12 hours a day. He's fair with them and they take home a very good pay packet. The rate of work he gets through in a week is immense. His philosophy is get the job done and get on to the next, rather than come a day go a day watching the clock tick away. We need more people like this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Why ?

16. If someone calls me late, after 7pm or I don't get time to call back during the working day I respond with a text*.
    Virtually all my customers have mobiles and call me on mine. Landlines I call back the next working day.

*Sorry I was unable to take your call earlier. I'll call you back after 9am tomorrow morning. If it's urgent please text me now.
    Paul of Air*************.com

Most smart phones have text templates.

Note
    My voice mail is
    "Sorry I can't answer your call. I must be busy with a customer, up a ladder, no signal or driving. Please leave a message with your contact number and I'll call back shortly".

#16 AirCon, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. This is a brilliant idea, so I've asked the Politburo to consider it ...
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/tradesman-thread-for-subscribers.58439/

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. the one about pay when it suits them boils my piss,i always turn up to a job when agreed so expect to be paid when its finished
    another one I hate is "while your hear can you just " and expect extra work done for nothing

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I've got an expression for some of my clients... "Cash with Thought"....

We get that on nearly every visit.... change bulbs, drill holes, fix taps!!
    I get my work done then tell them it's £12.50 every 15 minutes; "What do they want doing?"
    That's if I've time.

A certain scottish person taught me a good expression "attitude tax" mark up on services based on how they treat us.

#19 AirCon, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I've been making more tea than an Irish funeral for my builders.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information