1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail Breaking And Counter Steer

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Morning.

Started actively counter steering on track this week and vast difference to how quickly I turned. Question is, if you are pushing hard on the inside bar should the breaking be virtually over? Is it a % thing? The more you are breaking the less active counter steering and as you come of the break push the inside bar harder. A hard push in heavy breaking seems to me like it would result in a nasty grinding metal sound. Is it dependant on the corner type?

Cheers

CR

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Watch the likes of Marques and they can be trail braking well into the bend and it is probably the single most common cause for the front tucking. At the novice level most advise you to get your braking done in a straight line but as you get more confident that advice changes and you start to combine body position and later braking and at this point, it's when trail braking begins to make sense. I'm definitely middle pack inter standard and find I'm not quite comfortable trail braking up to the apex but still braking a lot later than some. Andy

3. Are you actively counter steering or passively?

4. Morning CR, for me, it's not a percentage thing, it's a feel thing, dependent on track condition, tyre temp, the type of corner etc etc. I don't think there is a definitive answer. For me personally, I passive steer while braking hard, and if not at the apex by the end, then a good shove tips it in, but I don't think its that simple to explain, it should be more one fluid movement of lean, brake and active steer. From the little experience I have, its definitely about feel and confidence in the front, and once you pass this limit, the metal noise happens. It pains me to say, having slung a few up the road, that its the only way to find out :sob:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. CSS rules suggest finish your braking then turn.

Corser suggests most modern riders (Marquez incl) don't do the big counter steer shove now, it's more to do with pressure on the outside bar rather than inside bar.

It's all so confusing :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I agree Bradders about the confusion, and do not think there is a set rule for any given track, corner or bike. Having spoke with many inter and fast riders over the years, everyone seems to do it different solely based on what they are feeling the front do...:motorcycleduc:

#6 Wayne58, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'm currently working with a small team from TVAM to deliver "Look, Lean and Roll" training to IAM associates and counter or positive steering is the hardest thing to explain and demonstrate. I'm going to say I do it passively because it's a totally automatic, I don't make a concious decision, I just do it. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. I read something last night to explain counter steering. Think of it like an upside down pendulum. If you balance a baseball bat on its end on the palm of your hand then move your hand to the right, which way does the bat fall, left or right?

9. What Andy said...... It's automatic. Doh, why could I not find that word this morning :)

PS, I wasn't suggesting you crash to find the limit of your braking, was merely pointing out what happened to me on a few occasions trying to find how hard I can steer and brake, which is why I ain't no Marc Marquez :weary_face:

10. Pressure on outside bar???

11. FYI, he crashes loads figuring out the limit for a given corner. 5 times last weekend wasn't it?

12. He crashes loads figuring out the limit for a given corner. 5 times last weekend wasn't it? Maybe you are like him???

13. It was indeed 5 times, but he has more bikes than me :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ROFLMAO....I think not, I would give internal body parts for just one of his senses :upyeah:

#14 Wayne58, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yes. Try this to test what he means.

1) Ride in a straight line and hang off the bike as if going into a corner.
    2) Notice how much pressure is on the outside (left bar for RHS turn) to keep it straight
    3) Release the pressure and see how the bike falls in

Context: it's about being ready way before the corner and braking, and as you get to your turn point release brake press and bar pressure in similar measures

I was working on feet position a bit last night while out and I concluded it's going to need a leg waggle before corner entry to make it easy ;)

16. I find counter-steering fascinating.

For me, the clue is in the name and it is very much not automatic.

I had never heard of it until about 15 years ago and was amazed at how effective it is when I tried it. As I said though, it has never been automatic for me and I had to train myself to do it, it was a new trick for this old dog.
    I know nothing about track riding but for me and my knee-up road riding, the overwhelming use for counter-steering is to tighten a line in order to avoid running out of road. I found that an absolute revelation.
    As with the pendulum illustration, it is interesting to ride straight and level and shove say the right bar forward. the bike reacts by leaning right. Imho, because the forces are forced out of balance and it is the resultant leaning right that makes the bike turn right, not the fact the bars are turned left.
    In what is for me, normal, steady seat of the pants riding, as you lean and turn right, the bars will automatically turn to the right.
    If you doubt this, try wheeling a bicycle along by the saddle and turn it right by leaning it right, the bars will turn to the right.
    If you take your hands off the bars of your motorbike and lean right to turn, the bars will do the same thing.
    This would make a fascinating subject for research. It's very difficult to determine the exact mechanism we use for turning our two-wheeled vehicles as it is so automatic and instinctive but one thing is for certain, they won't turn at all if the wheel won't turn.

This is very controversial and I fully expect to get strongly disagreed with but I've given it a fair bit of thought and this is how I see it.

17. Ok, if I u understand you correct.

When going towards corner the general advice is just before breaking get your body to the inside of the corner, then brake. You are saying to keep the bike straight while being off to the inside you need to counter steer the wrong way for the corner, counter-counter steering. Then, after the breaking as it turns into trail breaking counter steer as per normal perceived wisdom.

As someone once said "the more I know the less I understand".

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I think you are right, the wheel does turn/point the right way but something about the pressure in the inside bar makes the bike fall-in/turn.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm not saying the wheel doesn't point the 'wrong' way, it has to if you push it that way. I'm saying imho it's the forced unbalancing of the otherwise balanced forces that results from that that makes the bike lean more and therefore turn tighter.

20. I have to disagree a little, every single turn you have ever made is counter steering, you don't pull a left bar to turn left, you passively push it, mostly without being aware.

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information