1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transporting Bikes Accross The Channel In A Van

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Xfin999, Oct 21, 2018.

1. As a passing comment yesterday, a relative suggested that to transport a motorbike in the back of a van to France it needs to have had all petrol drained from the tank. And also Jerry cans with fuel in are not allowed?

I ask because we're relocating back to France in a few weeks time and rather than have movers charge me a rediculous sum of money to also take my bikes, I was just going to to put them in the back of my van and take them over with us.

Has anyone done this before?

2. Just drain the fuel. Then there’s no problem whether you can or cannot.

I believe that petrol is available in France when you get there.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It was more the fact that it made no sense to me. What difference would it make if a fueled motorbike is in a van or outside of it on a ferry? The comment could easily have been complete BS.

4. Call the ferry/train company for the answer to the other question.

• Like Like x 1
  5. When I went to the IOM tt the ferry operators wouldn't let bikes on the ferry with extra fuel cans, I know because some Germans were having to give it away.
    Steve
    Can't see a problem with fuel in a bike in the back of a van though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I've transported bikes in a van bikes fueled up with no problems

• Like Like x 1
  7. I've taken my 748 to the Croix en Ternois near track near St Pol several times in a van. I never even considered draining the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Never really been worried about transporting bikes in a van with a small amount of fuel in. whether that's around the UK or across into Europe. If your ever asked to unload and start them, then a gallon or 2 would come in handy. Just use your common sense.

9. I took 3 bikes in a van through eurotunnel last year with fuel in the tanks and there was no issue. I don’t think they asked when you were booking. May want to call and ask if you are really concerned about it

10. As above never had an issue with 3 bikes in the back of the van on ferries or tunnel.

11. Yep looks like it was BS. Thanks all.

12. It is the rules but the chances of anyone checking is very low. I almost always have a full fuel tank to save me some time later and have never had issues. Same with euro trips as well, although I only use a maximum of about a half full tank on track.

13. Just take your fuel in a can, then say it's for the van not the bikes.

14. Why do you need to carry fuel in a can there's always petrol station close to the all docks

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Has anybody actually read the replies to the question?

The OP has explained TWICE that there actually is no problem to begin with. It was a bad suggestion by a misinformed relative.

16. I have heard it before by small and mostly one man bands taking other peoples bikes say, can you make sure the fuel is all out. Beyond that most don't have any issues or problems

17. 20 yeard of moving my bokes back and forward across and under the channel. Never ever drained tanks. Also never been asked who the bikes belong to, even though I always have the paperwork, no one is interested!

18. I can't be bothered googling it now but I seem to remember the ferries' T&Cs say you can't have your vehicle's tank full either. I've been ignoring that one for thirty years.

19. Reassuringly my mate on his 996 got pulled over by UK customs on the way out last summer when we were using Eurotunnel and grilled about the ownership of his bike.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information