1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andy800, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Hello all

How does travel insurance work?

If you take out a single trip policy to cover a 10 day trip and you break a leg on the 8th day. You find yourself in hospital and are unable to travel for 2 weeks what happens? Does the insurance cover any incurred costs or do they stop helping after 10 days?

Also with COVID 19 if you were forced to isolate while abroad where would the policy holder
    stand?

Would it be sensible to extend the policy by 14 days after return due date?

2. I would read the terms very carefully. A lot of travel insurance won't be valid during covid as such a pandemic is classed as force majeure. If you were to travel to a country with high covid numbers it won't be valid from the start I should think.

3. I just got a quote from one insurer that stated on their home page that they cover Covid, I went through the hassle of entering my details, when I read what’s not covered Covid was on there :laughing:

4. Post office insurance do not specify that they don’t cover Covid

5. I'd want it specified what they do cover as well as what they don't. If it's Europe I never bother. Medical is still on the ehic card until the end of this year and frankly I'd rather be in hospital elsewhere in Europe if it's necessary.

6. What country are you travelling too?

7. Just re applied for EHIC as mine had expired. Still should take out some sort of travel insurance

8. France, Italy Switzerland

• Like Like x 1
  9. Definitely read the T&Cs thoroughly, as it's highly likely any issues or cancellations that now relate to COVID-19 will not be covered.

10. From my experience of being hospitalised in France last year with sepsis whilst on a tour I would avoid Post Office travel insurance like the... errr... plauge.

Claims are off loaded to an organisation that is so impossible to communicate with, says everything has been resolved, when it hasn't, when I finally got a response. No updates sent to me and French hospitals threatening legal action over non payment. All very stressful.

Never buying cover from them again. Have been doing so for years, with an annual policy, due to the fact that their insurance covers riding a bike abroad.

This year I've gone with Carole Nash, easy option as its cover is specifically for bikers. If I understand correctly covid cover whilst abroad is included so long as Foreign Office advice doesn't advise not travelling to that country. Monitoring current rise in cases in France in fear of this happening before my departure to Corsica in mid September.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information