1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Trickle Charging?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by phil4, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Hi All,

First proper thread, so if I've gone and duped or something similar, please set me right.

I've been using a CTek charger with my car for years, the factory helpfully plumbed the charging cable in, so its easily reached in the passenger footwell.

I'm looking for something nice and easy with the bike. It doesn't need to be CTek, but something where I can quickly and easily plug in, I don't mind it having an end cap that needs removing, but I really don't want to have to remove body panels.

So I noticed while washing it that there's the DDA port under the rear seat... which reading around is the wrong think to use. But strangely noticed a simialr connected just hanging around down by the gear change.... is that any use?

If not, are there any recommendations, or recommended chargers?

Many thanks

Phil

2. Do you have the stock battery or an aftermarket one? I got a lithium-ion Shorai battery in my 848 and it comes with cable that connects to a special port that you plug into the charge controller unit.

I just wired that cable up and zip tied it in the location the factory pigtail is at for a battery tender.

3. Thanks, I think it's an original battery. This is the connector I mentioned down by the gear stuff.... with only two pins I'm guessing it's a power connector.

If so, does anyone know a reasonably priced trickle charger that can be easily connected/disconnected to it? Or have I got my connectors all wrong?

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

4. More likely to be the quick shifter connector.

The one under the pillion seat is also unsuitable.

5. Oh well, thought it was a standard SAE connector... perhaps not the case.

6. Use an Optimate or similar. They come with a fly lead that connects to the battery so you can plug it in to that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers... I think the best bet as suggested is go with an optimate, and run the wiring in... at least I know where it goes to/from then :)

8. If it looks like an SAE then if the bike had a previous owner it could be an Optimate fly lead. Piccie?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have a Ctek lithium charger for my 1098. As the battery is just behind the LH fairing vent, I have a permanent lead that's easily accessed to plug the charger into and is barely visible. No need to remove any fairing panels.

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 19.26.32.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi Chris, that's what I was thinking when I found it might be SAE, but was worried by your quickshifter suggestion. Knowing what a quickshifter does didn't want to send 12+V shooting up the throttle!

Anyways, the pics above show my connector, which I believe is the "socket" version of SAE, like this: https://www.intobikes.co.uk/popups/imageviewer.php?id=4637

I guess it's the two pin thing that makes me think it's power rather than quickshifter. So on the one hand I'd rather plug an optimate in and give it a whirl, rather than take panels off and trace wires... but on the other hand if you think it could be quickshifter, I'd rather that than frazzle something.

11. Cool, and lovely bike! If I have to do it myself, I may well go that route... seems a bit tortuous taking it too far.

12. Plumbing the lead in couldn't be less tortuous. :)

IMG_3832.JPG

13. You may have overestimated my DIY skills :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Just pop the fairing off and then the battery cover, if you can turn a wrench you can do this mod it's only a handful of bolts. :)

That connector you showed has nothing to do with the quick shift it's a trickle charge plug (although not the stock one mine has, although I am in usa so not sure of your model has a slightly different plug).

The quick shift is a silver little block on the rod connected to the shifter if you have a corse model with stock quick shift. Can snap pics when I am home if it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have an optimate with a plug that comes out of the vent on the ST2. On the 848 I have nothing to charge the battery and it is now Lithium anyway. I don't see me ever needing a charger as the bikes get ridden, no point in charging a battery that does not need charging.

16. Looks like you already have a trickle charge plug connected. Just trace it back to the battery to make sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pop a few screws on top of left panel off and have a peep, and you,ll know for sure.
    My money is on you have charger attached to terminals.
    Ducati charger is the biz too:handok:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks all, I'll pop the panel off and take a look.

Thanks again.

19. I wired in a quick disconnect (about $10 on Amazon) for my CTEK charger on my 1098. That actually makes it sound considerably more technical than it is - you just pop the fairing off, unscrew the battery leads, put an M6 disconnect on the post and screw the leads back on again! I then trailed it down to near the foot peg and just tuck it in there when I ride it. Couldn't be simpler and I've noticed it cranks much better now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information