1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Tried The S1000xr Today

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by nkibble, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I had a test ride of the S1000XR today.

God it's quick. I mean seriously quick! It's got the best gearbox I've ever tried on a bike and the up/down shifter works really well.
    The steering is Sportsbike territory - really light and quick. Suspension soaks up bumps but keeps handling really sweet.

Would I buy one? No chance!

The vibrations between 5 and 6K leave you thinking you're riding some monster Ann Summers sex toy, but the bike feels generally quite vibey until you're in 7K territory at which point it flies at warp speed to the redline. You have to ride the nuts off it everywhere to keep out of the vibe-zone. Fine if you're not bothered about your license, or don't mind doing a bit of porridge I guess. :)

The salesman was really keen to talk to me until I said its a bit buzzy around 5/6K at which point he took the keys off me and gave up - they know there's an issue there.

Glad I tried it, but it's not for me. My mate tried the R1200RS and really liked it. We swapped at one point, but within 5 mins he pulled over and made me swap back. He hated it.

He rides a '14 Pikes Peak with carbon screen. I rode that back and can say the multi is far better to ride. Much more fun!! :upyeah:

Just need to decide what to do now. The DVT is nice but almost too smooth for me. Also not made keen on the seat. Might be tempted to look for a previous model '15 GT. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  2. I rode the S1000xr this week as well. Although it's meant to look like it's in the same bracket as a Multistrada its not. Definitely not. I agree with what you say. It revs like hell. I found myself looking for not just one more gear but two. The gearbox as you say is fantastic, it handles well but it's so excitable, then the vibes come in through hands feet and bum, quickly followed by a 'No' decision!

I did like the switchgear. Right and left hand operations and the wheel for the satnav was great. You can zoom in and out dead easy. I'll have some of that.

I'd tried the DVT so yesterday the sun shone for the previous Multi. The new one is much better. You can read all the articles you like, consider this, consider that but get on both and the new one's an improvement, no doubt in my opinion.

Goes better, stops better, better sitting position (for me). Feels like the differences in modes are more pronounced. All round rides better and better for putting your feet on the ground. Far more smiles per gallon.

Then I rode my brothers K1300r, now that is a good machine. Looks like a beast, handles like a 250, rides nicely at 30mph and pulls all the way up to the Courtroom.

So it makes me ask the question, why do tourers all look like trials bike derivatives nowadays?

What I seem to be looking for is a beautifully styled (like the Panigale) ST2016.
    With pronounced riding modes, such as:

1.Wife on bored but I'll do it anyway.
    2. Easy in town.
    3. Pacy touring.
    4. Loony.

With flat bars and Termignoni's!

Do you think that'll be one of the 9 new ones?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The riding position in the K1300R is too front, and that is an issue for people with back problems, one reason I gave up my Monster, nice bike but definitely far from the comfort zone of the DVT both for rider and passenger.

4. @Sam1199: agree with you. Instead of the manufacturers giving us what they think we want, we should spec up what we want and challenge the manufacturers to give their best shot.

for me it's got to:
    1) look sexy enough that you get a twitch-on every time you wash it or go in the garage to wish it goodnight.
    2) boom through the rev-range and puts fear into all the Power Rangers on the sports bikes
    3) be comfortable enough to allow you to travel without the need for physio on arrival - but not so comfy you feel the need to grow a beard, wear hi-viz and know by heart the names of all the beers at a CAMRA beer festival.
    4) set car alarms off when you ride past them with your booming termis
    5) handle like its on rails, but not be so hard you'll know heads or tails when you ride over a coin.

Until that happens, I reckon the DVT with -1 tooth on the front, and a full system will be the next bike for me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Reckon that could be the one for me too. Think with a full flowing pipe and air filter it'll sound glorious, -1 tooth off the front and it'll definitely keep you on your toes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I am going for +2 on the rear, with 2 extra links, on my non-DVT. Less accelerated wear that way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's just a theory that it wears the chain quicker though isn't it?

8. + 1. I felt the same when I test rode it.... got the DVT now and much better to live with !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Which model DVT did you go for?
    My first inclination is the S model, but then I'm thinking if I go standard I could have a full system with the money I save.

10. Any one that rides a Pikes Peak is a cool guy! Your mate must be awesome, and a top Rider! Yes go for the Duke- bags of character.
    What a cool guy your mate is. You see he made the right choice to get a Multi. Avoid tha vibey XR nonsense like the plague.

11. Hello Mr P! Yes, the XR is well and truly struck off the list. :upyeah:
    After the ride on your multi yesterday it's finally made my mind up. DVT, with a full system snuck on when Lozza isn't looking. Just need to decide between base and S model now. ;)

12. Top man. Welcome to the Ducati fold

13. Glad to hear your arguments mate, I still owe to myself that test-ride with the XR but I made my choice already back in April based on the paper specs of both bikes.
    I've got the S and what I like most of it is the fact that I can change settings on the fly especially when I've got passenger and luggages. That is very important as the bike suspension is completely different when changing the load from one to two passengers. Everybody knows how important balance is, but the difference when changing those settings on the S is instantly noticeable. I have no idea how would I manage that in the standard DVT, but perhaps there's a way on that as well, might not be as convenient as in the S model though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Went for the S - partly coz they had a cancelled order one sitting there, but would have gone for the S anyway !!

Like you nkibble, I also took out the RS. Didn't plan to, but a mate who was going to ride the RS whilst I rode the XR had to back out at last minute, so I took both out. Wasn't expecting much of the RS but wow, what a pleasant surprise. Rode that first, and for a combined sports / tourer it ticks all the boxes for me.... jumped on the XR after the RS with very high hopes, but like you, the vibes got right on my nerves, and as you say, I felt as if I had to ride it like a loony at such high revs to get what it was about. Not used to that after a V twin for so long. Like you said, it goes like stink once you wind it up, but i can't / don't wanna ride like that for too long. Hey ho.... very happy with my DVT S now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The RS was a total surprise. It's got a bit of a reach to the bars though, which I think would become tiresome on longer trips. Very smooth though - mind you I had tried the XR first, so a pneumatic drill would have felt smooth after that. :)
    If I was going for that engine I'd go GS route instead - but I just don't feel ready (old enough) for that quite yet.

It sounds like I'll be placing an order for the DVT S very soon. I'm pleased to hear from AndrewG about the seat - that was a bit of a concern but looks like he's sorted us out there. I'm happy how this is working out now. :)

16. I also test rode the Xr and the Dvt s on the same day. Half an hour into the xr ride my hands were numb, and no matter how bonkers the engine was or how well it handles, I just couldn't cope with the high frequency buzzing. Also didn't feel comfortable manoeuvring on it where the Dvt just felt great straight away. So I'm picking the Dvt s up on Saturday!

• Like Like x 2
  17. i tested the xr after selling my z1000sx and indeed had one on order but due to the wide bars couldn't get it into my back garden to my bike shed so had to cancel and yes it is insane but i never had trouble getting my other 2 1200 multi to my shed is this a sign i need the multi s

18. Dave you know that last "thought" makes total sense, get back onto a Multi and welcome yourself back into the fold.......

19. tony stranger things have happened , hope you are well mate

20. :):upyeah: Dave I'm in great nick thanks for asking and I trust you are too, it's been a while and I could do with a 'cake-outing', so try to get along to any of the run-outs or the Mutli mob trips if you can, it would be great to catch-up at some point.:D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information