1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trip Counter Reset Cable Removal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Jan 12, 2019.

1. How do you disconnect the Trip Counter reset cable on the SS?

I've managed to remove the tiny circlip on the back of the speedo cluster, but can't see how to remove the cable. Nothing in the Haynes manual and I can't find anything online.

Sorry if I've used the wrong terminology

Thanks in advance

2. I have seen them with R clips or a tiny screw, but none with a circlip.

If you are sure there is nothing holding it on the back of the speedo, it should just pull off.

The other end is non-removable from the knob.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I think you are talking about the knob end CK? The other end removes from the speedo. The knob doesnt come off

4. You wouldn't want your knob end to come off...

5. Yes it was the knob itself, sorry I wasn't specific there. I'm taking the whole bike to pieces, so I wanted to separate the speedo cluster from the connections.

6. Warning, having read this post back, I think I'd probably re-phrase it in polite company.

I had this on my SS, the nut was on the back of the knob assembly which left the cable trapped by the sub-frame after it had been taken off.

I eventually found there is a very small pin holding the cable to the back of the speedo.
    Once it's in pieces the knob end can be turned around so the nut is on the outside for next time.

Nasher

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. It is usually an R clip or a very tiny screw that holds the speedo end on. At the other end, the black milled retainer nut thingy seen from the top of the dash, unscrews so the knob assembly can be removed from under the dash.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yep, usually.
    On mine the nut was on the back of the knob bezel, so once you'd undone it you could pull the cable forwards through the hole in the sub-frame, but it was still attached at the speedo end, and of course the bezel for the Knob is too big to pass through the hole in the sub-frame.
    So the only way to remove the whole dash assembly is to dismantle it in situ and try to get the small screw/pin out of the speedo to reset cable joint.

I gave up and cut a small slot in the sub-frame to get the cable out then took the small pin/screw out when I had the dash on the bench where I could see what I was doing.

Nasher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Nasher, I'll bet that was a non-stock cable & knob then.....because they should all drop out backwards.

I have still got one here which I just checked on and against the parts manual, because I made three spare ones into remote idle speed adjusters; one I fitted to the SS I sold and sold a spare with the bike, which leaves me one more, just in case I need one for something similar.

AL

10. I've just been fiddling with mine 1993 900SS - at the clock end of the cable mine had a tiny R clip which was easy to remove, the cable then just pulled off and I was able to remove the whole instrument cluster. Like you I could not fathom out how to remove the knob end of the cable. I don't have any nuts visible either on the top or the bottom just a circlip underneath. If you remove the speedo end and remove the clocks etc job done yes?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Trip nut thingy........
    Trip.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Job done, thanks for all the replies. I was just a bit nervous about causing any damage. I've left the knob end where it is, and after cleaning up the other (clock) end, could see the pin which is actually a tiny screw. Undid that and the cable dropped out easily.

The dash assembly cleaned up ok, slight pitting around the clock bezels, but all cleaned up ok, sponge surround in reasonable order and only one dead spider.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information