1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Trouble Finding Neutral

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Alan Murphy, Aug 5, 2020.

1. I’ve not long bought a 2018 very low miles ex demo Enduro and am very happy except for one issue - it’s really difficult to get into neutral when stationary once it’s warm.
    I’m getting it looked at under warranty next week but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?
    Thanks
    Alan

2. How low is the mileage? They tend to be difficult to get into neutral up until the break-in service and sometimes beyond. Mine's on just over 10,000 miles now and neutral selection isn't a problem. When new it was nigh on impossible to select it at a stand-still.

3. I bought it with 745 miles done in 18 months!
    I’ve done 500 in the last couple of weeks

4. That's low mileage, hope you got a bargain. I'm guessing that it did have it's break-in service at 600 miles? Is there a stamp in the book? At that mileage it could still need some more miles to loosen up. Mine certainly took quite a few miles and gradually improved. Was better after break-in service but improved further since in regard of gear change/neutral selection.

5. Yeah, it’s had a first service and an annual.
    I’ve had it suggested that the clutch slave cylinder is poor quality and can need bleeding??

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeah I get the same even with 40K miles on it. I tend to leave it in second & then tapping down & semi-releasing clutch hits neutral @Alan Murphy.

I will mention this other tip I mentioned a while back. When in cruise control roll the throttle forward & it'll disengage with the tiny 2-3mm play. Then you can gently pull throttle back to find the approximate speed range of your current rate. With time this becomes a forward back manoeuvre (maneuver for our American friends) done in less than 1-2 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mine's covered 1300 miles and had its first service at around 900. (It was a bit delayed because the dealer shut during lockdown.) It's still tricky to find neutral, even after the service, but I'm used to that on some other bikes I've had so don't let it bother me much unless I'm in a hurry. I'll see if it beds in over time.

8. I've had three new ducatis over the past few years and all have been pigs to get neutral whilst running in.

Between a 1000 to 1500 miles the gear change gets a lot slicker.

I'd be a bit more patient and run in doing plenty of gear changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Agree they need at least 1K Plus to get fully run in for the gearbox, the other thing I have found is that the oil level affects finding neutral , keeping it topped up to the max line may help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. As has been pointed out already, they do need circa 1000-1500 miles on them, before gear selection becomes relatively smooth, however, it will get there, especially after the first service, so be patient...
    As for the sodding useless quick-shifter, well that's a whole other issue, but don't get me started.....Damn, I've done that already!!:no_mouth:

12. Yeah, miles seems to be a common theme.
    Funnily, my DQS is working just fine!!

13. Both of mine improved with mileage, but let's be honest here, neutral is over rated.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I remember my very first ride last year, several recurring false neutrals and a finicky real neutral. Note I had brand new boots. When I got home, I rode the bike locally with a lighter pair of boots and did not have any issues. I had to tweak my gear change lever just a little to make it work better with my bigger boots. Never had another false neutral but occasionally finding the real neutral is tricky; I find the gearbox really sensitive at the 1-N-2 selector range.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 3K miles on my ‘19 PP and I still have trouble finding neutral. My ‘15 was great tho.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 5500 miles on my 1260PP, 90% of the time it’s ok, but if it wants to be moody every now and then it can still be a bit of a bugger to find the magic N
    And if changed and bled the clutch fluid

Must be one of those characteristics I keep hearing about

Still can’t think of a better bike for me though!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information