1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting - Rear Brake And False Neutrals

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Triple7, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Afternoon all, I've got a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers for so hoping the wealth of knowledge on here will be able to help me out!

First one is why is the rear brake so utterly useless on the SF? I may have a problem with one of the components but unless I'm standing on the rear brake it doesn't activate and even then I'd do a better job of slowing the bike down by dragging my feet along the ground Flintstones style. I read somewhere it has to do with the brake lines being so close to the CAT and basically having the brake fluid cook and deteriorate very quickly which makes some sense, but wonder if I'm missing anything else?

Second problem is randomly hitting false neutrals usually between 5th and 6th, either going up or coming down the box, not ideal and feels like its doing damage to the box when then putting it in gear which is usually at fairly high speeds by the time you're up at 5th/6th gear. Anyone else encountered this issue??

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rear brake:
    1. whats lines are on it (OEM Rubber) or aftermarket?
    2. CAT?! - id loose that straight away (a massive source of heat generation)
    3. Rear caliper: Now this is my z1000 but i replaced the oem rear caliper (total shite and the same as what your describing) for a nickel plated brembo p2 34 - now i can give the rear a flat spot with a quarter of the pressure of the old caliper...
    4. Pads: which ones...try softer, sportier pads....

False neutrals:

Im on my 3rd hypermotard and theyve all had the same issue (comes with the territory) the only answer for me was to be a bit less namby-pamby with the gear changes...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers for the quick reply dude!

1. OEM rubber - maybe change for braided?
    2. Ha sorry, don't have a CAT as I've got the Termi's just came to mind from the info I read.
    3. Hmmm an option but probably expensive I guess? Second hand ones worth looking at?
    4. Might try some sintered pads.

Damn, will just have to give it some proper welly between those gears then lol.

4. Definately - if its still got OEM lines on it - change them, definately....no brainer...without a doubt...

You might still have the CAT underneath....ie is it a full termi system or no?

Yeah - the aftermarket brembo is expensive (about 330 delivered) but damn its nice....

Pads would be the cheapest option at this point to try...i would say...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lines and pads I think will be the first course of action then. Full termi system :D .

Cheers for your help dude.

6. Just to add, whats the colour of the brake fluid in the reservoir....clear ish or dark...if its dark its fucked....im only asking as if theyre oem lines the fluid may never have been changed...just a thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. No prob - so youve got a cat under there then...im not sure with the SF's if you can cut it out and put a link pipe in (an SF owner or someone with brains will probably step in and correct me)...as for a second hand caliper theres no point as it'll be identical to what you have...reckon youll probably nail it with lines and pads...

8. Just changed and bled the fluid yesterday and still no difference.

Haha doh, really? Must be a tiny one as don't remember seeing one?? Gonna have to double check now! Yeh fingers crossed, let's hope so!

9. No cat on the S/F with Termis and original lines are braided!

Take the rear wheel off if possible as it leaves the rear caliper much more accessible, remove pads and de-glaze, clean pistons with brake cleaner careful not to pump them out though! replace caliper on disc and bleed by moving lots of fluid! you'll need to top up reservoir every few pumps! Brake will then be as good as a Ducati rear brake can be:grinning:

My S/F rear is as above, can't help with neutrals though, is the gear lever at the right height for your riding style?

10. Theyre you go i stand corrected...about the cat...if its any consolation the rear caliper on my hyper is a shit to bleed...i usually have to take the caliper off any tie wrap it up to the subframe....try that...my get more air out of the system then...

12. Oops agree with gear change stop trying to do gentle change and just change gear - rear brake can’t comment never used it on the SF except for taking rust off disc

13. Awesome, cheers for your help chaps. I spoke to my cousin as well who has a SF and also suggested the same as others, take caliper off and tie it up to get more air of the system so will give that a go.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information