1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Verdict In

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bradders, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Oil starvation. So new crank, big ends, valves are fine but the heat has dished the top of 3 so need to replace, one cam too.....

Wouldn't mind but I didn't even crash it!!!!!!
    Check the middle one, looks like it's been welded!!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    And the dished valves. Tims mate from triumph done loads of these and never seen them dished like that before. Must have been heat???
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. Still there's always the football and European holidays to look forward to....

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. That's a bit of a mess.
    What caused the oil starvation? Obviously, that will need to be sorted before rebuild or it will do it again.

4. Running on its side. Can you get a tilt switch fitted somewhere Bradders? Didn't 916's have them fittted or am I talking shite?

5. I think it was one drinky.

Ricky, guessing at some time (like just before I bought it!!) it was crashed (ex race bike, so to be expected and accepted) but the fella put new fairings on and full paint, but didnt check motor. So run fine on stand and in garage but as soon as used in anger boom.

I have, since buying, found out trumpets are very fragile (why did I now know this before?!) and if the oil is ever so slightly low it can go bang. And checking oil is bia dipstick...so they make it as hard as they can :smirk:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yep full rebuild, so parts being priced up and sourced, then probably sell on. I want a turn key travk bike, not something this fragile

So soon to be for sale will be a well sorted and freshly built 675 for about £4500 with race shock, sigma clutch, wow, 2010, pcv fitted....will take 899 in px ;)

7. If the bike is pre-2009 get hold of an oil dip stick off a post 2009 bike. Triumph identified an issue with the oil level in the D675 and replaced the dip stick with a shorter model thus putting more oil in the sump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Its a 2010 bike but woudnt know if long or short stick tbh

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. So, as it stands today my engine is still in bits. However, its now going back together and found the conrods were potentially damaged beyond being able to be machined into tolerance. So thats a whole new bottom end plus camshaft and couple of valves and buckets. Even at a 'good rate' its going to be a big bill....

At least whoever buys it when I get it back will have a good one!!!!

10. or maybe not so soon :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I never quite understood what you meant by the valves being dished. How can that be? How was the shape of the valves different from standard? Did you mean that the bucket tappets or cam followers were dished, which might make some sense?

12. @Pete1950 see the pic above, the top of the valves were dished but also the buckets were toast. Mechanic said he can't remember seeing them that bad before.

But going by the state of the rest, it was pretty catastrophic

13. Thats a real bummer, was it first time you were on track that it went bang.
    I bought a 675 last year , just for track days. I have heard from a few people that are into Triumphs , that if you leave them in std tune and replace the engine oil regularly , they are reasonably reliable.
    I am in the process of selling an 1199 track bike , since i bought the Triumph , I hope I am doing the right thing.
    Good luck with the re-build and sale.

Kev

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. This is a standard motor, 118hp at best with filter, pcV and pipe.

Go to a race meeting, you will see half the grid will be 675, and half of those will be in bits in the garage :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, a guy at Cartagena had a new motor built and that went bang less than a session in. Oil is so critical. Ridiculously so. :Yawn:

15. :Jawdrop:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information