1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Try Before you Buy?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Stevie Tea, Oct 30, 2013.

1. I’ve noticed in a few threads recently that people are handing over large sums of money for a new or second hand bikes and have not had a test ride. Is this normal practice now?

I don’t think that I would ever buy a bike without a test ride, firstly because if I’ve not tried that model of bike I might not like it when I’m on it, and second because you can often find faults with the bike on a test ride. To date I have always test ridden bikes before handing over the readies and have walked away from one purchase because the dealer was not willing to let me test ride.

Am I being over cautious?

2. I think you are being properly cautious, crazy to buy without a ride.
    Also, I have noticed that no 2 bikes of the same model are the same. For example I have ridden a few of the fuel injected 900ss models and there has been a noticeable difference in performance although all were supposedly the same as no extras. It would be very irritating to buy a bike and then try another only to find you preferred it. The same applies to cars in my experience.

3. never really had a test ride on any bike ive bought new, or second hand, never been disappointed with any of them, asked if I could have a test ride on the new blade in 92 and R1 in 98, got told they they wherent giving test rides, they couldn't get enough bikes to for fill there sales need in any case, ordered them anyway , great bikes and happy , seems the common thing today, so prob would, saying that, bought my hyper from ducati leeds and they delivered it to cornwall, without me riding one, and liked it, maybe easily pleased, did do the ducati strada day locally and rode different bikes and wasn't keen, but not bikes I would have seen me looking to buy in any case, kev

4. if its a duke, you'll like it...just buy the prettiest one.

if you want a jap il4 its even easier...theyre indistinguishable from one another when your eyes are shut....they all sound the same too
    just buy the prettiest one...same as whoring really.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spot On !! Even after a test ride and getting off with an aching back and horrendous arm ache I've stood back and said yeah I'll have it, other bikes have made perfect sense, been totally sensible but just look shit. For me i have to go in the garage and go WOW, that's why I bought it. Unfortunately my heart always rules my head .......

• Like Like x 2
  6. swiss_toni-sm.jpg

Buying a Ducati is very much like making love to a beautiful woman

swiss_toni-sm.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. just dont burn your cock on the exhaust.

8. The last two bikes ive bought I didn't test ride but I was pretty sure the last one would be great (plenty of reviews on it) plus I was currently riding an older model of the same at the time. The latest bike ive bought/ordered I did sit on the demo and currently waiting a test ride weather permitting but once I saw it in the flesh I bought one anyway :biggrin:

Should get new bike in Novemeber maybe December

9. Bought my hyper evo new, had it delivered, never saw it or sat on one, stupid? maybe!, no regrets despite being a 5'5" shortarse...

10. Would always test ride and if I was expected to 'deposit the full amount' I'd walk away and have done; effectively you've just bought it!

A deposit amount, having someone with you who stays with the seller etc has always been sufficient as far as I'm aware and if not, I'd be suspicious.

11. Id always try before I buy.

I have to go to Northern Ireland to test ride an 899 ( there isnt one here yet ).

A handful of dealers here are ok, if they know you its ok, if they dont, they are v weary.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information