1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Tt Trip Question

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Vtwin4fun, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Hi all, I've booked to go to the TT this year and it will be my 1st time riding over. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips re panniers. I'll be taking my girlfriend so the bike will have all the luggage. I've watched videos of people riding their bikes on the ferry and the lanes look quite narrow with the steel "fence" separating. It obviously works but I'm wondering how wide it is when the bike has panniers. I've got the standard Duc/givi ones.
    Any tips will be much appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Don't worry, all the bikes heading onto the IOM ferries for the TT will be piled high with as much luggage as they can take. This includes sports bikes with tents, kitchen sinks, etc strapped on precariously. Ordinary panniers - no problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Not been on a Steam Racket ferry since the 70s but used Brittany Ferries to Santander in October and there was plenty of room for my Multistrada with 70 litre panniers. Don't see why the 2 ferries would be substantially different. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Went with my big Kawasaki and panniers, no hassle at all, roped to the sides and nothing touched at all.

With a little luck I will be going to the TT as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great, thanks for the reassuring info. Definitely looking forward to it and finally riding round. I've driven round when I was over doing some work and that's crazy enough so will have a few laps on the multi and stretch her legs a bit...
    Might even meet up with people off this forum too.

6. The only difference I have noticed in over 40 trips to the island is the segregation of bikes with/without panniers when travelling on the Seacat Mannanan. They match a line of bikes with wide loads alongside a line of bikes with minimum luggage, probably due to the space restrictions on the deck.
    Although the crossing on the Ben My Chree is slower, I much prefer it due to the less than satisfactory customer service I have experienced from some of the deck crew on the Mannanan on several occasions.

7. Get up super early if you fancy a ride round it , always seems to get shut later in the day :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm doing chree there and sea cat back so will get experience of both. Hopefully all will be well. I've only done chree in the past and it's been fine. Staff were great throughout the boat.

9. As an alternative to carrying luggage, many TT goers ship their luggage via courier. Not particularly expensive if I remember correctly and there are a number of companies who offer a door to door service. Most just put their stuff in cardboard boxes so it saves panniers from any mishandling damage. For the return, a lot of the couriers do a 'round robin' collection which helps them keep the costs down. The IOM seems well geared up for it so it works a treat for those who choose the option.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Standard panniers won’t be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just watching a couple of vids again and it looks like the bikes do not use side stands when they get strapped in or am I just seeing things....or not as the case may be...

12. Last time I went (2016) the bike was strapped down on its side stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yep strapped down with side stand down, I don't let them touch my bike I strap it down myself, there's plenty of straps.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I go every year on the seacat. Bikes are left in gear on side stand leaning towards the (removable) railings. You need to get off your bike over the 'high side' when you stop as the railing stops you getting off to the left. They use a short rope tied to the rail then passed over the seat and onto the right footpeg to hold the bike. A soft pad is placed over the seat for protection from the rope.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have a length of velcro I wrap around the front brake lever to stop it rolling forward.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I
    Use about an inch wide strip cut out of an old inner tube, like a big rubber band. Andy

• Like Like x 3
  17. Android, thats old school :upyeah::)
    I can remember using inner tube bands on all sort of things years ago.

Vtwin4fun, One further comment, they usually put the strap over the seat. There should be foam pads laying about, make sure they use one !
    If not you will end up with a marked seat.
    If there arent any pads about then put your gloves or similar under the strap.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cheers John. I'll pack a garden kneeling pad which I bought thinking I might do some gardening......

19. And put the strap towards the back of the rider seat so it is nearest to a solid mounting point.
    If it is in the middle it will bend the seat base as there is only hard support front and back for the rider seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Which is what the numpty from Santander to Portsmouth did to mine and snapped the seat base. They paid up easy enough as I took pics and informed the “foreman” on deck when I could find him.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information